PDA

View Full Version : Redmax BCZ2401S rotor and coil assembly "gap"

clif
04-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Does anyone know the correct way to set the gap between the rotor and coil assembly on this model trimmer? I had to disassemble it earlier today to clean out the engine, and I just want to make sure I am getting all the "spark" to the plug that I can. I was told that this gap is critical to the amount of spark your plug gets... (don't know if it affects voltage or amperage or both).

Merkava_4
05-01-2010, 03:39 AM
Yeah that's easy. Loosen the mounting screws to the coil and push the coil up all the way. Re-tighten the screws. Rotate the rotor around until the magnets embedded in the rotor are directly under the coil. Place a .010" feeler gage leaf on top of the rotor where the magnets are. Now loosen the screws to the coil. The magnets in the rotor will suck the coil down to the rotor, trapping the feeler gage in between. Now tighten the screws to the coil. Rotate the rotor a little ways so that you can get your feeler gage out. You're done.

clif
05-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Hey thanks a bunch Merkava_4, that is easy. Just curious, is .010" a standard gap distance for all trimmers and other small engines, or is this specific to redmax?

Merkava_4
05-01-2010, 06:49 PM
The .010" was just a good guess on my part because it's widely used on a lot of small engines.
You might call up Redmax on Monday and get the exact specified air gap if you want ...

rotti1968
05-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Another good rule of thumb on air gap is the thickness of a business card will work on most engines, or the thickness of a microfiche card folded in half.