PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki FD620D

jsmith6752
05-01-2010, 08:50 AM
I have been working on a FD620D Kawasaki engine. I got to tell you it's been driving crazy. When it first came to me for work it had no spark on 1 cylinder. I ended up replacing the CDI box. I have fire on both cylinders now. I checked the pick up coil resistance and it is within spec. When you start it up it runs good at a fast idle and above. The carb is clean. What seems to be going on is it drops a cylinder and does not spark. I put one of the inline spark tester and it looks ok. I have adjusted the valves as well. I keep bouncing back and worth with mechanical and electrical. This is a little confusing to me. When testing the coils I get the proper readings but on the main wire (spark plug ) I have nothing to any terminals or ground. I also checked for vacuum leaks. I am not going to make any money on this one....thoughts please thanks

Restrorob
05-01-2010, 06:57 PM
When testing the coils I get the proper readings but on the main wire (spark plug ) I have nothing to any terminals or ground.

Something isn't jiving with the above statement, If you get no resistance between the plug wire and terminal "A" you can't have proper readings.

Did you test the coils with the plug boot removed ?

I have seen many plug boots cause loss of spark as well. And some of those in-line spark testers with the LED bulb can give false readings (show spark but none present), Check for spark with a spark plug or other style tester.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FD/KawiFD620DCoilTest.jpg

jsmith6752
05-02-2010, 07:54 AM
thanks for your response.. I have no readings at all when checking " c " to a,b, or d I am using a fluke multimeter. The problem is only at lower rpm's If I can I will try to check the spark using a plug. I can just start it up one one cylinder and see what happens thanks

Restrorob
05-02-2010, 08:42 AM
I have no readings at all when checking " c " to a,b, or d

If that's ^^^^ the case replace the coil and be done with it, Do you get PROPER readings on the other coil ?

There's no point in http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/images/smilies/brickwall.gif if you have a coil failing the ohm's test.....

jsmith6752
05-02-2010, 10:40 AM
yes the 2 coils test out exactly the same I just noticed the cdi box part number was superseded . That should not matter but a couple of wires are different colors than the old one. The wires in the harness seem to be unmolested. Denso 21119-2120 new 21119-2157

jsmith6752
05-02-2010, 11:47 AM
the fuel pump relay is gone outta there history some body removed it I have to look at the schematic to see if that matters