PDA

View Full Version : What type blade sharpener?

haynestotallawn
07-05-2002, 08:15 AM
For those of you who sharpen your own blades, which type blade sharpener do you use? I am new to blade sharpening so I have only a small idea about the different types out their. I do know that having to get someone else to do it is a pain and expensive. All help would be appreciated.

rvsuper
07-05-2002, 09:39 AM
I still use an angle grinder, but sooner or later in going to upgrade to a Magna-Matic.

wxmn6
07-05-2002, 05:45 PM
I have been using Fireball JR X for a few months and I am impressed with its performance. It is a 1 HP with 8" grinder stone blade sharpener. It only takes about 15 passes then its done. Usually I resharpen the blades after every 10 hours of operation. After sharpening, I use Magna Matic blade balancer to balance the blades which is very accurate. Also it have a gauge to check if blade is bent or not.

hoagie
07-05-2002, 07:12 PM
After using an old RGB for a few yrs (working for someone else) and then having to pay $25 for 2 sets to be only semi sharpened at the local dealer, I picked up a MAG-9000 from magna matic.

I have to say that this thing is ******* incredible... it puts a razor sharp edge down in no time. And the balancer is unbelievable too.... I dont know how I ever did w/ out one. Dont even waste your time w/ other brands... sure it may be a little more expensive, but WELL WORTH IT.

Please don't misspell this word to get around the autiomatic sensor. We've all heard the words before. Don't need to use them here though.

odin
07-05-2002, 07:20 PM
we been useing a rbg 3410 but when it plays out i think we will try the magna matic .
Love the magna matic balancer

Green Care
07-05-2002, 07:21 PM
I use a old lesco.

wrtenterprises
07-05-2002, 07:37 PM
I have been using a Mag-9000 from Magna-Matic, and it's the best I've used hands down. Before the Mag-9000 the machine I used was a FireBall Jr. The Jr. was a good machine, but in IMHO, the Magna-Matic line of products are the best on the market....

LawnSmith
07-05-2002, 09:13 PM
i just use a bench grinder. works for me!

Bladewielder
07-05-2002, 11:51 PM
Much to my chagrin I use an 8" 1hp bench grinder. Due to growth in account volume and proportional need for sharp blades I have decided a sharpening machine must be the way to go. In this business quickness and ease are an absolute must if you wish to have any sort of life now and any quality of life later on down the road. In other words no one wants to spend their spare time sharpening blades when they could have some time off. I've heard the Magna-matic machines are pretty sweet.

haynestotallawn
07-06-2002, 06:37 AM
guys, thanks for all the advice! I think I've made a decision to go with the Magna-matic. I was leaning that way to begin with and after I figured in the cost of paying someone else to sharpen and balance my blades, plus the cost of down time, plus the ride time to and fro, the Mag's will pay for themselves in no time. Thanks for all the help everyone! This site is a wonderful thing!

Ax Man
07-06-2002, 07:34 AM
I bought a Magna Matic balancer years ago, and it is fantastic.
However, I am a cheapskate, so I couldn,t part with 400+ for a fancy bench grinder.
I bought a 8" model at the Hardware store (70$)
Bolted it to my bench.
Pulled off the cover on the left side and rotated it 1 set of screw holes so the opening was down.
Then I figured out how much space was needed to put the blade at the right angle to the blade.
I grind both right and left hand blades on this set up and it works great.
One last modification was to increase the size of the cut out in the shield to give room for the lift portion of the blades.
Good luck cheapskates!

GrassMaster84
07-07-2002, 07:20 PM
I've always used a bench grinder, it takes a little practice to get a smooth sharp edge though....:)

Mid Rivers
07-15-2002, 09:50 PM
I just purchased a Magna-Matic off of e-bay and it is all they advertise. I had a RBG and it doesn't compare to the Magna. The new one cost a little more but time is money. It took 34 seconds to sharpen and balance (magna matic balancer) a gator blade for my 48" turf tracer and it was a mess (eating rocks). Had to remove a bunch of metal to clean up.

Runner
07-15-2002, 10:04 PM
I currently only use a Benchcraft bench grinder. It has worked very well for me for manyyears. I can get a perfect edge,-everytime, but it takes some carefulness in doing so. I'd love to have a dedicated bladegrinder, but I just can't seem to justify the cost. If I did make a purchase, it would probably be a Magna-matic, as you can sharpen blades all the way up to a bushhog blade with it.

odin
07-15-2002, 10:09 PM
Midrivers

Im glad to here the magna is that good i just ordered the 9000 and just got the tracking number and it supossed to be here tomorrow .
Im gonna get the guys to test it out first thing when they get in tomorrow.

Randy J
07-16-2002, 06:51 PM
Ok, new twist to the question. Looks like Magna-Matic is generally considered the best blade sharpener out there, but which one? The 9000 looks good, but can you sharpen mulching blades with it? The 8000 looks real good, but is it worth $450 more?

Randy

BOTURF
07-16-2002, 07:34 PM
Mag - 9000 here and their blade balancer is just incredible makes the bench grinder and little cone shaped balancing device seem like preastoric days imho

odin
07-20-2002, 07:16 PM
we got the magna 9000 in and they have been doing some blade sharpeing and verdict is that the magna is by far , hands down better then the rbg 3410 we have.
Well worth the price

Toroguy
07-20-2002, 10:36 PM
Its funny how the RBG was the rage when Eric endorsed it...now the magnamatic seems to be the rage.

I have switched to a hand file after poor results with a Delta bench grinder. My blades are better now than in the three previous seasons. The hot weather plus the manualness of it is discouraging, but no wimp factor goin on here.

brucec32
07-23-2002, 12:03 AM
BG 121, by wall enterprises. $350 delivered from Mow More mail order. 1/2 hp. There are better models, but this one is much better than my old bench grinder I used for 10 years. If you are sharpening for a bigger company I would try to get the best, which are more like $800 or $900.

Magna-Matic
07-24-2002, 01:14 AM
Hello All, and thank you for your kind words.

We try to be the absolute best so that we may save our customers time and money with our machines.

I would just like to make a note about the late Eric Elm and RBG vs MAGNA-MATIC. I had only meet Eric once, it was at the lawnsite BBQ 2001. He as well as some other lawnsite members got to try out our products there, and after Eric saw the productivity difference between the MAGNA-MATIC sharpeners vs his RBG he was ready to place an order.

IMHO i think Eric was a genuinly helpful guy, and before he knew about us RBG was the best thing.

To drop a quick note, the MAG-9000 is the machine for lawn care pros, and the MAG-8000 is the machine for large lawn care pros, servicing dealers, & sharpeners.

The MAG-8000's differences are the ablility to do curved mulching blades / 1 HP continious duty motor / more open view design / standard vac grit guard / etc.

Again thanks for the kind words, and if you ever have questions about blade service or our products, drop a post in our message board. Or call us 800.328.1110 we are always happy to answer any questions.