PDA

View Full Version : to mulch or not to mulch

buysell
05-01-2010, 01:15 PM
if i have this horrible anual rygrass coming up....should i mulch while mowing or bag it all.....if i mulch will i be spreading it? and weeds also?

thank you in advance

White Gardens
05-01-2010, 02:45 PM
if i have this horrible anual rygrass coming up....should i mulch while mowing or bag it all.....if i mulch will i be spreading it? and weeds also?

thank you in advance

Good question.

I'm going to venture and say that you have perennial rye grass in your lawn and not annual. I see it occasionally around here and what usually is the case is that who-ever seeded it in, seeded it way too heavy. Ultimately it becomes hard to keep up on your lawn in the spring as it is thriving at that point. When over-seeding your lawn too, always check the seed content and steer away from any blends with rye-grass in it.

So, if it is perennial, then you have no defense over what is already established and mulching won't make a difference.

The way I look at mulching and weeds is that there is only a minor percentage of weed seed in your yard to begin with. Most weeds will come from seeds that have traveled in from the surrounding area. Such as the case with dandelions, or mulberry trees from bird droppings.

So, I would just keep mulching, and when you get fed up with the rye-grass, kill your lawn off and start over.

buysell
05-01-2010, 07:42 PM
but which rygrass is bad?...i have "integra?" rye and it appears to be nice,,,this is Kermit:confused: green and grows faster the the other grass?