PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Pricing

MONTGOMERYLAWN
07-05-2002, 09:36 AM
I LIVE IN THE SOUTH, ALABAMA. HOW DO YOU GO ABOUT BIDDING COMMERCIAL PROPERTY SUCH AS CHURCHES, ETC. ALSO DO COMPANIES MAKE IT PUBLIC WHEN THEY ARE TAKING BIDS, IF NOT HOW DO YOU HEAR ABOUT THE BIDDING?

David Haggerty
07-07-2002, 06:51 AM
But if you were to get replies #1 would probably be "Do you really want commercial accounts?" They're slow to pay, go for the lowest bid, and have no loyalty to you. They'll fire you for someone $10 lower, their brother-in-law wants the job etc.

#2 Would probably be along the lines of: To get more business, expand on what you have. Do your customers' neighbors' lawn. Sell added services to your clients. Get good referrals from your customers. Any thing you're likely to see posted in the newspaper would be something they can't get anybody else to do. Because it's not worth having. It's a lot better to make the initial contact yourself than it is to wait for something to come to you.

I'm not trying to discourage you from commercial accounts. That's how I make my living. It's just a different world from residentials. Homeowners are glad to see you and appreciate what you do for them. You'd swear most commercial accounts are trying to drive you out of business.

One more thing,I wouldn't consider Churches commercial accounts. They're classed in some sub catagory with storefront businesses (lots of litter) cemeteries and condos' (run by committees so there's always someone complaining) Plus there's the HUD contracts. (all of the above problems plus they threaten to sue you for breach of contract)
I suppose someone has to mow these crapmmercial accounts. I just thank Gawd that it doesn't have to be me.

I have 20 accounts that I treat like GOLD (because they are) Most are factories etc. Some are huge residentials. Most ALL of them came from what I said in #2. I plan to keep them till I die, then will the accounts to my son.

I apologize for sounding so cynical. But I've been at this for a long while, so I feel a little entitled. But ask around, am I wrong?

Dave

MONTGOMERYLAWN
07-08-2002, 07:45 AM
Well thank you for the advice, and I am planning on expanding with what I have, I have bid on a couple of commercial accounts but got nowhere. I dont know how some people can do these accounts so cheap and still make a profit.

HarryD
07-08-2002, 08:41 AM
well my old boss i used to work for :mad: for 10 years lowed balled mowing and then he would put down 1 app of fert and weed spray in the spring and then charged them for 5 or 6 more apps over the course of the summer and not actually put anymore fert down till fall.
and he is still doing this to this day i have not worked for this guy for 10 years but just had a chance to bid agiast him on a big job and he lowed balled my bid by over $100.00 cuz he can make up for it by selling fert and not applying it
not sure how he has gotten away with it for this long but he has.
i know a few jobs where they wanted you to come into there office and sign for what you did for that day so they could check to see if ya did the work :)

davesgs75
07-08-2002, 09:24 AM
Hay Montgomery

When I was looking for commericial in our area. I found most places will take bids at anytime. I was most interested in mid sized apartment complexes. Most of these places accept bids at anytime you can just walk in and give the bid to the manager. I was not interested in businesses to much, due to the back stabbing by the business owners I have seen. They make a buddies or have some friend, or family member that wants to cut the grass and it does not matter what your bid is.

I think I would rather have a large number of residential lawns with just a few commericial lawns. If you loose one residential it is not much of a percentage of your business, but if you loose a high paying commericial it can be a large percentage of your business.