PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who mow 5 days a week

cozymonkey
05-01-2010, 04:22 PM
So far this year I went from 23 lawns last year to 56 lawns this year. Last week I called everyone who hasnt started to have me mow and told them what their mowing day would be. Well by friday I have had 6 people cancel because they do not want their yards mowed early in the week because "it will look like crap by the time the weekend comes around." I have about 30% commercial and 70% residential I just made my routes on areas together mixing both commercial and residential into routes. Should I be trying to have all commercial at the beginning of the week and the residentials towards the end? I can do it but probably wont make the profit I would by grouping them together but at the same time I dont really want to lose more clients? What do you guys do who mow 5 days a week?

shovelracer
05-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Yes commercials early in the week. Next find people who dont really care and put them next then fire everyone that demands friday. Lets face it in a perfect world all commercials would be cut on sunday and all residentials would be cut on friday, but only on dry days, non-holidays, after 10am and before 2:30pm, and if it does rain you should call to find out what time is best to come by because they do not want you there on their respective day of rest or during a play date. Would be sort of hard to get customers that way with what you would have to charge to run 40 guys, but for only 2 days a week.

Here's my take on it. Half the people will never care as long as they dont have to mow it, the other half will never be happy. I like having my routes real tight, but I also do not have to travel real far either. I have kept my smallest and some of my worst lawns for friday. There are a few reasons, but the biggest is that these people are the least demanding and if it is rainy or even a weekend they do not care and wont bother you. The best part is on fast weeks we can hammer them out and be home in time to enjoy a beer on the deck. Also makes it nice after 4 - 12+ hour days.

Over the years I have turned down or been turned down from accounts because of the day of mowing. In the end it has been better because these people are usually a bit rediculous. I have no problem with them having a set day so they can plan accordingly, I just do not let them tell me what that day will be.

Golfpro21
05-01-2010, 05:05 PM
I do my commercial properties first of the week, then I have about a dozen properties that are rentals and I have a contract with a property management company so I do all those Tuesdays, and then Wed & Thurs are residential, if I get more properties I can fit a couple more in Thursday, and Friday is left open for rain delays and just incase something else comes up (always does)

Way to go on the increase.....our phone won't stop ringing either, lots of fert,aeration and slit seeding jobs, plus mulch jobs and power rakes. We went a little harder on marketing before spring hit so it is paying off.

All the best

hackitdown
05-01-2010, 06:34 PM
I tell people that I never schedule mowing for Fridays. I ask them, what if it rains for 2 days on Friday and Saturday, shall I show up on Sunday at 8AM? Do I wait until Monday? If I cut on Monday, do I return and cut again on Friday? Once they grasp reality, they give up on the topic.

If not, F*** them. Move on.

Lazer Cut
05-01-2010, 06:56 PM
I have a few customers that wanted thurs or Friday... I have 12 for that day all in the same neighborhood all were being mowed on tuesdays... I told 3 outta 12 if the other 9 will agree to move to Thursday then I can move it, I have no mowings for Friday either like above... I mow since in highschool- mom,tues,wed,thurs,sat if it rains... its catch up and skip couple classes :)

Just my thing, drop them if they are that picky I have 7 commercials all HAVE to be mowed sat or sun just because they are day care centers... last night and today it poured but we stilll mowed and got them done...
Posted via Mobile Device

MJS
05-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Also, if it rains earlier in the week, you do NOT want to be caught mowing for 14 hours Friday so that you can have Saturday off. The people who I have scheduled on Fridays (about 15-20) know that if it rains, I will usually be mowing their lawn on Monday and on Friday the following week.

The ones who want it to look nice for the weekend - those folks I mow on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

These guys are right - if someone demands a Friday, drop them fast. Life is too short to stress out over whether someone is always happy because their lawn is mowed on a certain day.

sharpcuts
05-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Yes commercials early in the week. Next find people who dont really care and put them next then fire everyone that demands friday. Lets face it in a perfect world all commercials would be cut on sunday and all residentials would be cut on friday, but only on dry days, non-holidays, after 10am and before 2:30pm, and if it does rain you should call to find out what time is best to come by because they do not want you there on their respective day of rest or during a play date. Would be sort of hard to get customers that way with what you would have to charge to run 40 guys, but for only 2 days a week.

Over the years I have turned down or been turned down from accounts because of the day of mowing. In the end it has been better because these people are usually a bit rediculous. I have no problem with them having a set day so they can plan accordingly, I just do not let them tell me what that day will be.

This is my take on the situation as well. Like he says DON'T LET THEM TELL YOU WHAT DAY TO MOW. Request? sure. If it works in my schedule, great! If not, you'll just have to take what I have to offer. If they don't like it, they can find someone that has an empty schedule (now why would anyone have that? Unless......:dizzy:).

AOD
05-01-2010, 11:10 PM
hehe, I love working on Sundays. If it was up to me, I would do all my mowing on Sunday mornings.

topsites
05-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Took me some years to finagle this one out, it's still far from perfect,
I keep getting these calls folks asking me to come cut it now, kind of
the opposite of your problem, I DO cut them before the weekend, it's just...

I pick Monday and Tuesday to do Other work, anything but mowing, whatever it is, no mowing those two.
Wednesday is an in-between day, either all mowing, or other stuff.

But whichever way, I have three mowers, two 48" Wb's and a 60" Z.
Now before the half of the week arrives I got all THREE of them full of gas, sharp blades,
zerks greased, fresh pre-cleaner, the oil checked, really the whole nine yards, ready to go!

So come Wednesday or Thursday, I start mowing and that is ALL I do!
I load two of the mowers at any time, always two so I have a backup, also
depends which yards I'm doing.

Wb's, each one can mow 14-15 yards on 1 tank of fuel, I mean they run ALL day on that and I have two,
then the Z with it's twin 6 gallon tanks doesn't run out easy either.

So between the Wb's and the Z I can run 3-4 days mowing without a stop for fuel or anything at all,
and once I start I mow straight through Saturday night, all I have to do in between might be swap a mower.

Worst thing is when one is down, this brings me back to doing daily maintenance, man I hate that.

Sunday?

DON'T LET THEM TELL YOU WHAT DAY TO MOW.

Yeah I got another request for that...
I'll take care of it but I'm sore tempted to tell the customer to keep the money because I ain't coming back,
why's this PITA BS got to start now, or is it just the flipside of being busy?

Jason Rose
05-02-2010, 12:41 AM
I mow 6 days a week, does that count?

I try to schedule commercial stuff and "crummy" lawns on mondays, but I also do several commercials on saturdays just because no one is in the parking lots to work around on sat. I do have some nicer lawns I do on mondays, I don't like it any more than they do, though I've asked most of them (the residential monday people) and most don't care what day, just as long as it's done, hence why I don't mind doing them on mondays so much.

I've had requests from a couple to be moved to later in the week, but after explaining my full schedule and how I drive a specific route to save time and fuel (i'm not going to be driving back and forth across town just to mow everyone on their own requested days). I've not lost a customer over the day I show up. Actually i've actually picked up several in certian neghiborhoods just because I'm there on a friday and they company they had was there on tues. or wed. and they "had" to have their lawn nice for the weekend. Advantage- me. If it was the other way around, I would have lost...

I couldn't imigine not mowing at all on certian days (other than sunday). I have way to much invested in the best lawn equipment money can buy to have it sitting collecting dust. When it rains me out for a day? well there's a lot of thrashing to get caught back up. I have a friend I can call on and now just hired full time help. Hoping my stress level will be going down some. I'm actually looking forward to monday morning now.

cozymonkey
05-02-2010, 01:41 AM
Ya I think Im not going to sweat it. Just maybe next time I will offer to mow on the day they request but I will charge double or something crazy. I will just tell them that my quoted price goes by my scheduled day and if they want a different day then I will need to quote them for that day. If they go for it, I win if they dont I still win. It just kinda of sucks because 3 of the six are right in a row all neighbors and I think one of the ladys said something to the others and they all changed their minds. Im pretty sure the other two didnt care on the day but once I dumped the first lady and she found someone else they all switched. Oh well my plate is full enough for me this year.

Kennedy Landscaping
05-02-2010, 02:48 AM
On Monday's that is sometimes my free day, unless something comes up. Then Tuesday and Wednesday's its residential, then Apartment Complex I do on Thursdays. Friday back to residential, then on the weekend I try to take off if I can but normally never works out. I do my commercials late week or over the weekend. Plan to do gas stations and some residentials tomorrow, got rained out two days last week and did an install today so I'm behind now. I should be able to get back to normal by Sunday night....I hope.

SangerLawn
05-02-2010, 02:51 AM
We run all commercial properties on Monday and Tuesday. The rest of the week we focus on residentials

Frue
05-02-2010, 07:38 AM
I have a very strict rout. No request if you are on thurs friday list or in that area thats fine if not o well. I have one guy who is off rout but he pays 20 extra for the special day request. No one time cuts, no can you bail me out untill I get my tractor fixed, and no new pick ups unless you are next door. I am in this neighborhood on this day thats it!

Do not run over Gods creation just to drum up work. You will waste gas and will waste valuable time. Trust me stick to your guns work will pile in. There are guys advertising here like its going out of style and receiving very few calls. My phone rings everyday no advertising outside of the uniforms and trucks lettered. the truck can not drive more then 10 mins from the last house if it does I either reroute or drop the customer. It sounds harsh but its about making a profit......... Stick to your guns!!!!

Charles
05-02-2010, 08:53 AM
I schedule yards Monday through Thursday. Big commercial stuff early in the week. Friday is rain make up day. Saturday and Sunday are for whatever I want to do besides mow lawns days. I have to have something to look forward to during the week and that is set in stone. You're not exactly self employed if you let your customers set your schedule. If I am their employee then I want my bennies :usflag:

lawnboy dan
05-02-2010, 10:51 AM
anyone who insists on friday mowing is going to become a pita a t some point -get rid of them!

1grnlwn
05-02-2010, 11:03 AM
I have always had a few requests for thurs. fri. mowings. If it fits my schedule fine. If not I let them know the schedule is the boss and in the spring it's anybody's guess what day it will be.

lawnsnorth
05-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Ya I think Im not going to sweat it. Just maybe next time I will offer to mow on the day they request but I will charge double or something crazy. I will just tell them that my quoted price goes by my scheduled day and if they want a different day then I will need to quote them for that day. If they go for it, I win if they dont I still win.
This is exactly what we started to do. We don't charge double but charge and extra $10 per cut if they want to choose their day. This extra makes up for the extra driving to accommodate them. Here's the kicker. This year about 6 customers sent back their sign up letters with the extra fee option crossed out and the day they wanted it cut written in. When we get a really bossy customer I then tell them that in order to be fair to all my customers, if they insist on being cut on a certain day, we will then start a rotation. Your cut on Monday this year Tuesday next and so on usually this quites them up in a hurry. A few times I have asked them what makes them think they are more important than the rest of my clients. They often don't have an answer to that either.

mexiking
05-02-2010, 02:58 PM
I do mowing from Tuesdays - Friday half a day. I will only mow a few on friday and focus heavily on Thursdays to do my best clients. If I get behind I'll mow friday ones saturday and again its only half a day so I don't mind. Mondays and halfday saturdays I keep for extra jobs such as mulching, plants, etc etc.

freshprince94
05-02-2010, 04:46 PM
I determine which day I mow all of my lawns on. I have a very tight route though so it's easier for me.

Glenn Lawn Care
05-02-2010, 07:25 PM
i would do the commericals one in the begining of the week and your better clients towards the end. thats just me though.