PDA

View Full Version : Toro 42" Timecutter Won't Start

mr.phil
05-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Hello to everyone that's reading this! I've had my zero turn for about a week now and the previous owner that I purchased the zero turn from gave me some advise on basic operations of this machine. He told me to never turn the machine off when its at idle, to always turn it off at full throttle. well my helper was unloading the machine yesterday and hen said he thought he heard me calling his name and he had the toro in idle and turned it off. Well it won't start back up! I've taking all the basic steps of changing the spark plug, changing the oil, and installing a new air filter and cleaning element but still no start. There is fresh gas in the tank and I don't know what seems to be the problem! I can follow instructions real good so any advise would be helpful! i have several customers lined up for this up coming week so what every it is i need to do It has to get done today or tomorrow! Please help me out guys!

C & T Landscaping
05-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Is the battery charged? Check the starter...maybe it's just a loose wire.

MS_SURVEYOR
05-01-2010, 07:46 PM
I can't see where turned it off at idle would cause it not to start back up. Might cause it to back fire. I bet one of the safety switches like the pot, or sticks or not in the right place. What about the safety break. Is it on? What about choking it? Or Not! Do you have spark to the plugs? Is the started turning it over?

Beats Me?

BINKY1902
05-01-2010, 07:55 PM
I own a Timecutter Z for my personal yard. I can tell you that starting them can be kinda funny sometimes. The starter solenoid is very weak on them. I have the 42" with the Kohler Courage 19. It won't start when it is cold at all, won't hardly even try. Make sure that the pins in the back of the machine are set to drive mode, and not push mode. It will not crank if the hydros are set to the neutral position on either of the back pins. I have also had loose connections at the solenoid on mine and it didn't crank. The cable from the battery to the starter is also very small on this machine so the battery must be fully charged to get the sucker cranked. The solenoid is weak from the factory, and I've heard of several going bad. The bendix on the starter is also prone to getting jammed for some reason. Hope some of this helps.

MS_SURVEYOR
05-01-2010, 07:55 PM
http://www.speedwaysales.com/images/manuals/3359-795.pdf

bobhardt
05-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Ive never understood shutting something off at full throttle. If it has a throttle on it I shut it off at idle. Ive never had any backfiring problems.

MS_SURVEYOR
05-01-2010, 10:07 PM
I've got to say, I never did on a briggs. But my 30 hp Kohler demands it! :rolleyes:

rwar
05-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Is it turning over when you turn the key or nothing at all

mr.phil
05-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies!! I just got back in from trying to fix it and I'm just getting a chance to read your replies! O.k. it was sounding like it wanted to turn over but it didn't. Now i don't know if I run the battery down or not but when I left my place it had started to not do anything at all! So i charged the battery for like 30 minutes and put it back on and it started to do the same thing as before... sounding like it wanted to start but nothing and then it started to not do anything again! I sounds like i might be the battery and I pray and hope that's all it is but worst case scenario if it is the starter, how hard are they to install? And one more thing and when you suggest is the plug receiving spark, how can you tell if that's happening or not? Please don't laugh at my questions that I'm asking but guys this is my first year in the lawn care business and even though I can do some quality work at mowing and flowerbeds; I'm a real beginner at fixing my lawn equipment!

mr.phil
05-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Oh and just to let everyone know what kind of Toro it is. It's a Toro 16-42Z TimeCutter Z Riding Mower. Model No. 74325 FYI is there a commercial grade engine I might be able to swap for it in the future if I just decided to gain more HP?

topsites
05-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Tell you what you do, the red way of getting ANY Electric start POS going when it doesn't want to.

Grab a set of jumper cables and hook your truck's battery to it, make sure the truck is NOT running,
also make sure red to + and black to ground, no helpers this time lol
Now whatever it does, it may not start but unless the solenoid is bad it WILL crank.

Another super neat device would be to get yourself a jumper pack, I have one and that thing comes in awful handy,
but the poor man's way is jumper cables and I've jumped a Wb with those before so it does work!

rwar
05-01-2010, 11:08 PM
ok,sounds like battery or starter,give it a good charge and try again in the morning

mr.phil
05-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the replies again!! I beat tonight I will try all of the helpful advise I received on here first thing tomorrow morning! Oh and Topsites your post made me laugh.. I really needed that today!! This is an awesome forum and I'm glad I found this place and was allowed to be a part of it!!!

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-02-2010, 12:21 AM
it sure is man. this is my first year as well as a legit biz. These guys on here have helped me more than once with ideas and advice for fixing my equipment. I was half asss mechanically inclined before i started, but just spending the time and fixing your own equipment teaches you ALOT real quickly! im now comfortable to do ALMOST anything repair wise to my machines. Having your mowers break down really does suck, but its almost a blessing in disguise when you need to learn and you have no one to help you physically. Most of the time people here are more than willing to help if you provide the right information and ask the right questions

Charles
05-02-2010, 09:19 AM
If it is trying to turn over then it isn't the battery or the starter. Could be the fuel pump. I had a hose going to the fuel filter clog up and mine wouldn't start. I took off the hose and blew it out with the air compressor.
Could be the gas tank switcher that activates each tank. Turns gas off and on
Could be water in the fuel filter and gas tank
Could be the fuse that controls the fuel pump
Could be trash in the Carb
Could be the choke
This if it is turning over and at least trying to start. Just clicking, would be the starter or the solenoid. Nothing happening, would be the arms switch or the blade starter switch or starter/solenoid

mr.phil
05-03-2010, 12:40 AM
I charged the battery up and it isn't that or the starter. It's turning over but it's just not starting up. I called the guy that I purchased it from to ask him if he ever had this happen to him and his response was no. He told me it sounds like it may be flooded and told me to make sure I didn't leave it in choke b/c that would allow the gas to continue to run. So before I left my place I took it off of choke and I'll see what it does in the morning. I've kind of been spared a day of work tomorrow due to the amount of rain we've received today and the amount predicted for tomorrow morning. Hopefully by now and then I'll have it up and running again. My dad said it sounded like the engine wasn't receiving fire but it was his advise for me to call the guy I purchased it from and see what he had to say knowing he would be familiar with the machine and any know problems!

mr.phil
05-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Does anyone know where i might be able to find a Service manual for my Zero Turn? Thanks in advance!

mr.phil
05-04-2010, 01:58 AM
OK.... I'm back up and running!! Just so everyone can know i changed the fuel filter and replaced the battery with a new one...... Nothing changed it was still doing the same thing but after i took the engine cover off, i got a wild hair to try it again and... and... it started up but was sounding weird. It was sounding like it it was only running on 3 HP. So i was scratching the little hair that I have left on my head and my dad walks over and moves some little black piece on the carb and Bamb!! I'm back and in full force!! What happen was that the throttle control was stuck in idle on the carb. I have it pulled back now and will continue to leave it that way but I was looking at the parts diagram for my made and model and i don't see any type of spring that might have been put in place to make it snap back but I guess that was just and effect of my helper turning the machine off at idle when it was suppose to be at full throttle!! Thanks for all the help again to everyone that chimed in and I'm really getting interested in small engine repair!!

South Metro Landscaping
06-13-2010, 12:01 PM
TORO TIMECUTTER Z AXLE PROBLEMS

Has anyone ever had an Toro Timecutter Z axle break on them? Broke my right one a few weeks ago, and nearly died when I saw it would take over $1000 to get a new assembly for it (part cost around $800, with some labor). Talked to some guys at my local machine shop, and we developed a steel part that actually repaired the axle, and it works like a charm today. Saved me a heck of a lot of money, and it appears its working great.

If you've broken an axle and would be interested in the part, contact me at linde333@gmail.com. I'm curious to see how many people have had this axle problem. I'll keep you updated on how the part holds up as we continue to mow more lawns.