PDA

View Full Version : Laying Sod in Big Rolls

AWJ Services
05-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Anyone have any experience with this.
I Have a CTL and a Kubota Tractor to do it with.

AintNoFun
05-01-2010, 11:41 PM
last fast we did 6 acres, we were using a tracked skidsteer i forgot the width of the rolls maybe 42 or 48". with 4 guys we were averaging close to an acre a day.. no prep work, just rolling, there was a decent amount of cutting/trimming as well..

AWJ Services
05-02-2010, 05:49 PM
last fast we did 6 acres, we were using a tracked skidsteer i forgot the width of the rolls maybe 42 or 48". with 4 guys we were averaging close to an acre a day.. no prep work, just rolling, there was a decent amount of cutting/trimming as well..

What type of attachment did you use?

AintNoFun
05-02-2010, 10:32 PM
What type of attachment did you use?

was a sod roller that the tubes from the sod farm were like 6" black heavy sewer pipe. then you slid on these two ends that had like 1 inch nipples on them so they basically just sat on the attachment in a groove. very efficient..

Bigred350
05-04-2010, 07:26 PM
We use a WMI sod installer but you can buy a skid steer attachment to lay the big rolls. some of them have a hydraulic ram that grabs the rolls for you so you dont have to get in and out of the skidsteer to slide a rod through to get the roll.

Caterkillar
05-07-2010, 11:41 PM
It seems like a Takeuchi would not be sod roll friendly. I had a TL150 and it would leave a footprint in any kind of turf. Does the tractor have turf tires? I would think an asv undercarriage would be the best for sod rolls.

We do dingo rolls whenever I can pencil out the extra shipping charges and the dingo leaves no track marks.

FLCthes4:11-12
05-08-2010, 12:06 PM
we used pallet forks and attached a solid steel rod to them. We always ran the loader just off the last roll and had a few guys pulling them together with heavy duty rakes. Doesnt look as good as squares and hand laying but it sure is fast.

Elks
07-21-2011, 10:55 PM
i normally use a bobcat mt with a sod layer attatchment on the front. I have used a t140 with the same attatchment.

ryde307
07-23-2011, 11:38 AM
We almost only use big rolls. Small or large jobs in big open jobs it is 10x faster. In small jobs its fast if you know what you are doing and less labor. We also lay big rolls by hand alot. Move it to a spot use a knife cut from the top all the way to thetube you now have pieces to drag out and lay.