PDA

View Full Version : Kawaski 17hp fh500v running odd~!

The Lawn Ranger CT.
05-01-2010, 09:41 PM
My Exmark walk-behind 17hp started running odd, first the idle was surging like crazy, and noted that it smoothed out when the choke was on, so I took off the carb and cleaned the heck out of it, still surged, took off valve covers and reset the valves to spec (toward the end of last yr. I noted that she would start up on one cyl. and replaced a coil , on the exhast side)...
What it doing now has me baffled, .....after finishing a job or stopping to speak to a customer, when placing the throttle to slow the idle down , it takes more than a number of seconds before the idle will drop (or slow) , like there is a lag , what could be causing this~?

topsites
05-01-2010, 11:00 PM
A sticky throttle cable?

The Lawn Ranger CT.
05-02-2010, 02:00 AM
topsites: Thanks for the input ,..I'll give that a look tomorrow but I'm sure when I cleaned up the carb, I sprayed the cables too,but you never know.

swandrie
05-03-2010, 03:59 PM
hey
I got 2 of these motors and both bent push rods!!
I guess it has a issue with intake valves sticking!
I hate these motors! I notice they did change the air filter setup "bout time" the new one looks like a 15hp!!!! much better setup! my 2 cents

1993lx172
05-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Maybe the governor needs to be replaced

The Lawn Ranger CT.
05-04-2010, 05:44 PM
It could be the gov. noticed the last couple of days of cutting sometimes it idles down good and other time slow...about 50/50 but its cutting ok , which is a good thing~!
I should just break down and buy a new motor, (17hp Kaw)( had this one for 10yrs now) but every site I've looked at they want over $1200 for one...which to me seems alittle high~!

1993lx172
05-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Just fix it, it will cost you less to repair the one you have then to replace the engine. I've got a 14hp Kawi that is going on it's 19th year of constant service that's never been opened up. That Kawi is just getting broken in. If mine ever goes out (knock on wood) due to a serious internal problem then I'd replace it, but if it's something minor and easily fixed like a gov. or something along those lines (non internal) then I'd just keep patching it up.

The Lawn Ranger CT.
05-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Great motto to live by " Never Give Up Never Surrender"~!

1993lx172
05-05-2010, 12:51 AM
That it is, that it is. That has a lot of meaning to me and 88 others. I was in competitive marching band all four years in high school and had the opportunity to preform in venues on a national level (against bands that had 300 members on the field, we only totaled 88) such as Lucas Oil stadium (twice), The RCA Dome (it is the coolest feeling when the doors to the air lock opened up and you stepped onto the field in front of 10,000 people), the Georgia Dome, Tropicana Field, the stadium in St. Louis. We won the Tennessee Div.II state championship four out of the six consecutive that my high school has claimed the title. Our aim wasn't to beat the other bands, but to beat our selves and our last performance, and I have the honor of saying that we did.

Before every performance one of the instructors would stand under the press box and yell that motto at the top of his lungs. It was an experience to say the least, and I would never trade a second of it for anything. I graduated last year and watching this last season from the stands instead of on the field just felt weird. God I miss it.