PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problems on a Kaw

mklawnman
07-05-2002, 04:30 PM
I have a 2001 Scag Turf tiger with a 23 Liquid Cooled Kaw. It has about 320hrs on it now and ive started to notice a problem when trying to start then engine at the beginnning of the day.
When i go to start the machine, i put full choke and half throttle and usually the engine fires and away we go. Well for the past week i would do that and well it wouldnt fire. Ive replaced the battery, we've checked the measurements on the spark plug, which are orginials, and the gap is good. It ends up taking me a few minutes fooling with the throttle and choke to get the engine to fire and start. The starter is working fine, its just not turning over all the way to get the engine going. We think maybe it has something to do with the fuel line or filter? Its not EFI, so it has a carberator.
Any suggestions would help, besides saying go ask the dealer for help, which i will be doing soon whenever i get down there.
Thanks
Matt

firefighter
07-05-2002, 04:49 PM
when you start the motor cold, does the motor spend over reel fast ¿ If it does it has to be spark or fuel. Take the plug out and leave it hooked to the wire, then turn the motor over and see if you have a good spark, (keep the plug away from the threaded hole in the head, might catch fire). Also try after choking motor and nothing happens to pull plug out and see if its wet. Might try new plug also. Some plugs show a spark but wont fire under fire.

Also does the motor start after it's warm ¿ è

mklawnman
07-05-2002, 04:57 PM
Forgot to mention, we took the plugs out, and surprisingly they weren't wet after trying to start it a few times. And we also took the plugs out, and stuck a flat head screwdriver in the plug wire to see if there was a spark and there was some sparking in the wire so both wires aren't bad. Also after i get done mowing a lawn, and go trim and then load up, the machine starts right up when its warm, cold engine takes awhile, warm engine it starts right up. I might just go buy two spark plugs and see if that would help.
Thanks, any more suggestions welcome
Matt

Richard Martin
07-05-2002, 08:01 PM
You are already doing what I was going to suggest Matt. Replace the plugs and see if that helps.

1grnlwn
07-05-2002, 08:22 PM
Make sure your choke is closing fully when you choke. Mine occasionly sits in the rain and choke cable siezes a bit.

Mark

LawnSmith
07-05-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by mklawnman

When i go to start the machine, i put full choke and half throttle and usually the engine fires and away we go.

why would you use part throttle when upon startup? why not just use full choke and idle throttle? do you start your truck or car at part throttle?

65hoss
07-05-2002, 11:27 PM
As stated above, check the choke. It sounds like it isn't working.

I have the 23 kawi, and he is correct on the throttle to crank it. You do need to put it almost 1/2 upon start up. That is just the nature of the 23 kawi.

Jimbo
07-06-2002, 12:07 AM
Thats correct about the 1/2 throttle at start-up. This is explained in the manual. My 23 HP Kawasaki is the same.

I would make a visual check that the butterfly is fully closing when in the choke position, and check the fuel filter, and tank selector. If it runs good when hot I think that would rule out the spark, and filter though.

LawnSmith
07-06-2002, 12:34 AM
thats funny because the manual for my 27 kaw says to start it and then let it warm at part throttle.

HarryD
07-06-2002, 12:51 AM
your saying the plugs that are in this motor are the originals and it has 320 hours on it :confused:
that would be the first thing to change . just because they look good does not mean they are.
i have a 12 kaw on my button 36 was doing the same thing yours is pulled plug looked ok thought it was the carb took it apart cleaned it put it back on same thing so i replaced plugs with a good plug ngk not a champion and boom problom solved

mklawnman
07-06-2002, 03:01 PM
Alrighty i will try full choke and little throttle and see if that helps. But if i remember correctly, the dealer told me when i bought the machine, to put full choke, half throttle when starting cold, he also said something about these Kawi motors are cold blooded?? I will also go buy some spark plugs today and see if that helps. Once the machine is warm everything runs fine on it, warm engine when its turned off will turn over with no problems, but when its cold then takes a bit so if the plugs dont help ill look into the carb to see if one of the cables isnt pulling the butterfly open or close.
Thanks for the help, luckly this stuff isnt that hard to figure out compared to todays cars and trucks which have tons of computers on them.
Matt

mklawnman
07-06-2002, 05:07 PM
Found where the problem was. The choke cable going to the carb was the problem. The wireing around the cable is clamped down near the carb, well the screw came lose and when i would move the choke the whole cable would move and so no choke was being applied. Had to tighten the screw down and made sure the clamp held, so that was the problem all along.
Thanks for the help, saved me a few miles and minutes from driving all the way to the dealer, then to end up probley dragging the machine in to them which i would hate to do during the season.
Thanks
Matt