PDA

View Full Version : Peltor Worktunes

Doogiegh
07-05-2002, 08:48 PM
Just got a pair of the Peltor Worktunes and they are great, that is for sure!

Only complaint I have about them is the darn on/off switch which doubles as a am/fm selector.... press the button once and you switch bands, press and hold it and it turns the radio off..

I think so far I've gon thru 4 or 6 AA batteries all because when I thought the unit was off, it wasn't. It was on am mode, just tuned to a dead-air station (the equivalent of 104.3 on FM) so I couldn't tell they were still on. Now at the end of the day, I pop the batteries out completly. A little pain, but works fine. Anyone else do the same?

DLS1
07-05-2002, 09:59 PM
Did you buy them at a local store or did you send off for them? If local where at? How much did you pay for them? I looked at Home Depot and Lowes but they don't have them. I saw them for $60 on the internet but I like to see something before I buy it.
Can you hear the radio good or is it a muffled sound?

Doogiegh
07-05-2002, 11:40 PM
I sent off for them on the internet, I actually forget exactly which online place I got them from, but you are right, they were very very close to the $60 price.

I also looked at Home Depot and Lowes around here in NJ and they didn't have the Worktunes either.

Mine takes 2 double AA Batteries.

There is a dial that you turn to tune in stations.
There is another dial for volume control.

And as described, there is a button, press quickly to switch from AM to FM and back... Press and hold for 2 seconds and it turns the unit on/off, but I think for me, I don't hold it long enough, which switches my FM station to AM, of which on AM it's blank air, so I think the units off, but it's not and then 24 hours later of course, the batteries are dead.

Overall, they seem to be very well built. I've dropped them already and the cover popped off but it clips right back on. I keep them in my truck along with safety goggles and take them from job to job. As I hop out of my truck, the Peltors go on, the keys go in the pocket, I turn the Peltors on and I start working. They don't get turned off again until I reach for my keys to start the truck and go to the next job..

I listen to FM Rock and basically, I don't know what i was thinking without them before. I used to have a slight ringing in the ears after mowing for a long time.

The sound I hear now is a buzzing noise of the mower... sounds kinda like a cross between a super active bees nest and a window air conditioner unit, but 1 or 2 rooms away.. That's what the lawn mower sounds like, blade engaged. I can hear the radio fine, the mower is much much quieter, BUT you can hear when you hit something bad or wrong.

I on purpose took a bunch of small dry sticks (all thinner then a typical pencil), maybe about 7-8 sticks. Put them in a small pile like it was a campfire and ran the mower over them on purpose. I know that we all run over small sticks of course during the course of mowing.. With the headphones on and radio on, you can still hear the clackity clack of the blades hitting these small sticks.

You can also clearly hear the engine "tone" like when it gets that super deep hum when you are scalping.

If you do a search for Peltor on here, you will find other opinions.

SOME guys says that they would never use them because you can't hear what's going on. Well, you can't hear too much without hearing protection either and as long as your attentive, I think it is super well your investment.

Even if mine broke for some reason, and I've only had them for like 3 weeks, I'd go and re-order a new pair today.

See if you can find a mail-order place that has a return policy, just in case you don't like them.

BTW, some guys also say they are hot.. They will make your head warmer, but I don't find my ears to sweat too much overall as a general rule, and if you can get by cutting and trimming in this 100 degree weather, you can get by in 90 degree weather with ear protection on.

At this point, I'd be hard pressed to find a good reason NOT to wear them. And you can hear the radio good. In fact, I think FM is in stereo so for some drum solo songs, you can hear the beat go back and forth between your left and right ears, which is cool. And what's cool is that you can hum or sing while working, and no-one can hear you cause the mower is running anyway! HA!

Just don't forget to stop singing after you shut the mower down. <G>

Good luck, let us know you do.

Gary

DLS1
07-06-2002, 08:02 AM
Hey Gary, good review of sound quality.

I will order them. I already use Peltor ear protectors and they are like you described where you can here things going on if you hit something but it really knocks out the engine noise. I did try foam ear plugs when it got in the 90's but it wasn't very good for noise protection. So now I wear a head sweat band under my hat and that helps alot to keep sweat off my glasses coming down to the Peltor ear protectors. The protectors do get a little sweaty.

joshua
07-10-2002, 11:25 PM
the work tunes are great, i have a pair and wear them every yard, sound is great. i've seen other compaines wearing them to. its worth the money

ADLAWNCUTTERS
07-11-2002, 02:01 AM
I LOVE THEM ,AFTER YOU START USEING THEM YOU WILL NOT WANT TO WORK WITH OUT THEM. THEY ARE A MUST. I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THEM 20 YEARS AGO.

gusbuster
07-11-2002, 02:35 AM
I was told that Sears has them for around $55. At least this way, you can look before purchasing.

I own a pair. I like them very much,but my pet peeve is in a raido market such as the one that I live in, the tuning on the set is very difficult to set right. Less than a mm, Ican go thru 3 stations.

John

KerryB
07-30-2002, 09:07 PM
Are they AM/FM or just FM?

Cooper Landscaping
07-30-2002, 09:40 PM
lawn doctor- from Doogiegh's post it sounds like they may get am also- but from the way its worded im not quite sure
-Coop

DLS1
07-30-2002, 10:07 PM
I bought them about a month ago. They are am/fm. Really diverts your attention away from how long it takes to mow a big yard. Makes the day go quicker and more enjoyable.