PDA

View Full Version : 12V impact wrenches

Doogiegh
07-05-2002, 08:57 PM
I've seen 12 Volt Impact guns on Ebay that plug into the trucks cigarette lighter, figure it's a quick way to change blades when the need arises, etc...

Problem is that I see them on there for only $21.50 and even with shipping, it's only a tid bit over $30.

Has anyone bought one of them (the 12Volt) ones and are they worth it or do they blow up after 3 uses and forget it, get a decent $189.00 electric one?

Of course the electric would limit where ya can change blades quick on the fly, unless you get a 12 volt to dc inverter, which is again, another $120.00. etc..

Any ideas? Thanks

Jimbo
07-05-2002, 11:00 PM
Remember you get what you pay for and that price sounds a bit cheap.

I use an Electric unit at home, and it works fine. If I were you I would buy a good electric unit and a decent power inverter. There are many uses for the inverter.

I have never had to change blades in the field, but I did have to tighten one up. I take along a rachet set.

brucec32
07-06-2002, 12:36 AM
I needed an impact wrench for when blades get stuck on my mower and muscle power won't do it. I tried electric ones with 250 lb ft. of torque, but they didnt' cut it either. A compressor and a good air powered one does the trick. I just use a socket wrench most of the time, however. If you really need a lot of force, I'd invest in the compressor.

awm
07-06-2002, 07:40 AM
u wont believe how well a good one works. eliminated one o my wk loads.
campbell hausfield makes one that i been changing blades with,for yr. an a half now.30 or so.
ps i liked them so well i got one for my wife an daughters. strictly a lug nut buster and not for shop use.

MOW ED
07-06-2002, 07:47 AM
I have an electric cheepy from e-bay, not a 12V but a 120v. came in a blue box like a makita looks. It is ok but there is nothing like an air powered one.
I just use mine for blades in the garage.

NewbieOwner
07-06-2002, 10:33 AM
Forget the 12v...

Take a 4x4'ers trick, convert your old non-functional A/C compressor (or add another if you need the a/c) giving you onboard air. My nissans setup with a second A/C compressor, feeding a 3g air tank. Gives me the ability to use Pneumatic impact gun (cheaper than electric, for better quality) and blow out my filters any time I need.

Go search for "OBA" or on-board air, on your favorite search engine, you'll find lots of info.

Andy

yardboyltd
07-06-2002, 02:33 PM
I didn't think a standard GM compressor gave out those type of pressures... My A6 compressor is huge, and couldn't blow up a bycle tire.

TLS
07-06-2002, 02:59 PM
My Dad has a 12gal tractor trailer air tank mounted under his Suburban for engaging his Onspot automatic tire chains, and of course his big 22" long air horn (mounted under there as well). He just has a small 12V compressor (nothing big at all) and he has hooked an impact to it to remove tires. Never had to use it on the road yet, but we test tried it at home and got 5 of his 8 lugs off pretty quick, had to wait about a minute for the compressor to catch back up to zip the other 3 off. This would definately work on a trailer. This will be my next addition to mine. I already have the tank, just need the small compressor, and a bigger battery (just have the small motorcycle battery for breakaway now). Will be great for flats or those slow leaks that you dont notice till 1/2 way through your day.

The 12 gal tank is what makes this work. It has enough "reserve" to make it all operational. The tank is about 8" in diameter, and about 3' long. Make sure you have a drain in it!

I also heard of guys with tube frame trailers using the actual tube frame as a giant air tank :confused:

awm
07-06-2002, 05:56 PM
well one pt of note. with my jumper in one hand and my 12 impact in the other.
i have 250 impact capability. even if im
in the bryer patch.or any where else.
course i guess most use the cigerette lighter,but thats not near as portable.
starting with the idea of say changing blades . i can have 6 off an 6 on in 5 min.
just a thought. that includes reachin in the tool bin for the 2 tools.:)

Doogiegh
07-06-2002, 11:37 PM
Well, I don't think I'm gonna hook up a second a/c compressor to get air to run an impact wrench, that seems alot of work to me. I was just wondering if anyone uses a 12V impact wrench at times, like if they have a damaged blade and need to switch them in the field...

Or do ya just use a plain old breaker bar with a socket and use some muscle to get the blade off?

BTW, anyone got a link to the tool that holds a blade in place under the deck so that it won't spin so that you can easily take it off?

Thanks for that.

I'm still check out Ebay and possible Harbor Freight since I see they have a 12V impact wrench as well. Thanks!

Plus if it can change blades, it would help if I ever got a trailer or truck tire flat.

Gary

John Gamba
07-07-2002, 08:32 AM
awm
Are you Saying That you have a 12v Impact Wrench? And If You Do What Kind Is It And do you Like It. Happy holiday!
Johnny G. :cool: :cool:

awm
07-07-2002, 09:33 AM
yep john ,matter of fact wth all my family i got six at my disposal . these thing all use to be about the same. now i think some are made to cheap to handle the
250 momentum impact ,that makes it work.heck of a hit when u think about it.
the one i would recommend is campbell hausefield.walmart here has another one for 20 bucks . works fine ,but im not sure its up to daily blde removal. try one its only 20 bucks for theirs, and i coulda just got a bad one.good luck.like i said these are not shop tools . really made for emergency flat tire changing. but it fit a niche for me. good luck

awm
07-07-2002, 09:36 AM
sorry my connection said it was lost ,guess not. now if i could figure all the wrinkles my daughter has put in this computer ,id know something . never happen:)

John Gamba
07-07-2002, 11:20 AM
Thank you Awn
I Will try One.:D

Runner
07-10-2002, 12:39 PM
I have the Makita 12V impact, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It makes changing blades a whole different task. Just rap 'em off, and rap 'em on. Just that fast. I keep it charged, and take it right out in the field with me. I just store it in my tool box.;)

awm
07-10-2002, 04:03 PM
ill look that over runner . always thought their ought to be one like that.but never came accross it. makitas pretty fair name too,

Likestomow
07-10-2002, 06:04 PM
I bought an almost new Snap-on 14.4v impact wrench off eBay last year. It has enough poop to take off lug nuts, so blade nuts aren't a problem. If you get one, just make sure it has enough torque for what you want to do.

yardboyltd
07-10-2002, 07:27 PM
Bought a 120v electric wrench today at a pawn shop for $35, great buy... I don't think I'll ever change blades in the field though...