PDA

View Full Version : Flower Bed Creation Question

thackerlawncare
05-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I am going to be creating some flower beds for a customer. If I am going to be laying down landscape fabric do you think i need to remove all the sod first, or is tilling it up enough? Also, to create about 1250 sq ft of beds, how many hours do you think it will take 2 people to do? Any help would be great. Thanks guys!

fastpine
05-03-2010, 10:26 AM
I would remove the sod..Rent a sod cutter

White Gardens
05-03-2010, 05:33 PM
All depends.

If the grade is good and no fuss, then I would do a brick/mortar edging with fabric, use a weed-eater to scalp the area, spray round-up and call it good. Just make sure you overlap your fabric and pin it down.

Now, if you need to re-grade, I would kill the area off first with round-up and then till it up. Then re-grade.

Sod cutter suggestion above will work too, I'm just not a fan of having to haul anything away if I don't have to.

pitrack
05-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Is mulch going on top? Do yourself a favor and don't use fabric. Unless you are putting rock down...

Kate Butler
05-04-2010, 08:56 PM
You'll get a better result if you RoundUp at least a couple of hours (12-24 is better) before doing anything. It actually works better the more leaf surface is exposed to the chemical.

Some sorts of grass are harder to kill than others- be sure to get the basic mix ratio right with a little lagniappe if it's one of the difficult ones.

Weed barrier is a waste of your (and the clients') money and your time - unless you're working by the hour, it's not in your best interests to use it. Weeds will always come up through it and having the barrier there makes it infinitely harder to get rid of 'em.