PDA

View Full Version : How do you ....?

Dirt Boy
05-02-2010, 04:10 PM
How do you guys/gals install these small concrete edging "pavers" that you buy at the box stores?

I've installed a few, but always wonder if I'm doing it the "right" way. Do they need a base like for regular pavers, or is sitting on bare dirt OK. It would just be for a single row style, many different types, like small crecents, bull nose, etc.

I never have seen any instructions for doing it, and some people just lay them on bare dirt and go, but it seems they ought to be buried a little or they'll just move around the first time they get bumped.

Thanks

Dirt Boy
05-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Wow!
Nobody does uses these guys?:)

Long
05-04-2010, 07:44 PM
a link to what your talking about? I would "NEVER" just lay something down without a base.

2low4NH
05-06-2010, 11:37 PM
dig and place. i would neer use them. good luck tamping a 6 inch wide base

ajslands
05-06-2010, 11:41 PM
If your talking about the block bricks that cost like 2$ a brick, they're trash IMO my neighbor layed them down in his yard and less than 6 months later, they started cracking. But a rubber mallet will be your best friend when laying these!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dirt Boy
05-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Yes, the type most big box stores sell. They are intended for decorative edging, flower boxes, etc. Perhaps. at the most, your looking at 3 or 4 courses tall.
You see them all over, people build them themselves, and I just wondered if there is a "proper" way to go about it.

If your supposed to have a "base" looks like a lot of hand tamping to get such a narrow base, and I guess I'm just wondering if there is a "professional" way to install these.

Thanks

2low4NH
05-07-2010, 08:02 AM
yes you need a base atleast 12'' hand tamping wont work. those block are garbage

whosedog
05-07-2010, 08:34 AM
I made a nice raised flower bed in front of my house using those HD blocks 8 years ago using no base,just hand tamping and a little sand to level the blocks.It still looks good and I get complements on it;but I'm not a professional hardscaper so what do I know.

Dirt Boy
05-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Well, I think somebody's blowin smoke:nono: 2low4NH, unless your saying it needs to be 12" wide x ?? deep.

And although they may be junk, there's sure a lot of them around.... just sayin, if someone wants them installed, I may just as well be doin it as the next guy.

2low4NH
05-08-2010, 12:34 AM
i thought you were talking about edging. this would be wall block yes good base bury a course to set level. road base or crushed gravel compacted back fill. all said and dne for cheap. i think a quick upsell to a real block is a better choice.

Dirt Boy
05-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Probably confusing, sorry
I am talking about a couple of things: Edging - these small foot long or shorter type "brick" and there's 20 different varieties of them. All laid in a single course.
Also, the "retaining wall block" - using the term very loosely, as they are not a genuine SRW type of block, but are used for small berms, raised beds, etc. around homes. Probably only setting them 3 or 4 courses tall.