PDA

View Full Version : Small Honda Generator Running Problems

Lawn N Order
05-02-2010, 06:28 PM
I am working on a small Honda Generator. At first it was not running at all. I drained all the old fuel, removed and cleaned the fuel system. With new fuel, it starts on the first pull but after opening the choke all the way, it surges.

It has a in line fuel pump and a electronic throttle control system to idle down until under load. There is no debris in the fuel system, air filter is clean and its got a new spark plug. There are no settings on the carb except the throttle control screw.

If I run it on half choke, it runs perfect. On half choke it will even idle down fine and run like it should. Could this be a problem with the electronic throttle controller, fuel pump or some other kind of fuel delivery issue? Its also got a on/off position on the fuel cap. I'm guessing its a fuel shut off for a vented fuel cap. I donít really want to throw parts at it and guess. The generator is only about a year old but because he left old fuel in it, I donít think it will be covered under warranty.

Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance.

Restrorob
05-02-2010, 06:35 PM
If it runs fine at half choke it's running lean off choke, You need to get into the carb and clean the main jet. That's the most common cause of high speed surging.

mowerknower
05-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Not sure what model you have (read sticky) but you might just want to price a new carb. Some honda carbs are pretty cheap.

Lawn N Order
05-03-2010, 09:39 PM
I was able to clean it out (for the third time) and that did the trick. It runs fine on full throttle/choke full open and idles down like it should. I called a Honda dealer and they said on the newer products, the carbs are super crappy and plug up easy due to poorly designed passageways. The idle screw/passage way is usually a major problem and there are no adjustments or ways to take it apart and clean them. Either you get lucky and it cleans out, or more times then not the carb needs to be replaced. I guess I got lucky! Thanks for the help!

dutch1
05-03-2010, 09:49 PM
It's not so much poor design as it is EPA mandates on the engine manufacturers.