PDA

View Full Version : ok ill give it another shot..you guys should know!!

buysell
05-03-2010, 09:30 AM
north jersey...lite green (kermit color) grassy something..grows faster then the lawn..temps in the 60-70's...in patches and appears to be spreading but not sure...tubular and feels strong..im coming up with one of the "poa's ...i did reseed and one of the types on the label stated 10% gulf annual rye,but it was on the lawn prior to reseeding
dont let anything iv stated persuade you on your thoughts..this is not my trade...you guys should know, since its your trade..

thank you in advance

medtec113
05-03-2010, 10:05 AM
looks like dallas grass to me. Does it grow in course patches?

buysell
05-03-2010, 01:53 PM
it appears to....spreading i think...:dizzy:

RAlmaroad
05-03-2010, 02:04 PM
it is NOT Dallisgrass. From the photos of roots it appears to be one of the fescue grasses or foxtail. Leave a small patch to let a seed head develop and then we'll know.

whosedog
05-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Since you live in NJ send a sample to Rutgers University Lab for positive ID.While you may get the correct info from someone here on LS,if you want positive ID, send it to Rutgers.

buysell
05-03-2010, 03:29 PM
ok will do..off to Rutgers it is...im going with gulf annual rye....i planted a bag full in a section and its all over it,as its supposed to be there..all uniform...its in spots in the other parts of the lawn but it varies...if its gulf annual rye the only way to kill it is to RU it?....if its an annual why is it coming up again?..does a Pre emergent control it?;)

RigglePLC
05-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Buysell,
I am agreeing with you: Gulf annual ryegrass. Light green, glossy, slightly wider blade, very fast starter in new seed siutuation, rapid vertical growth, reddish color near the soil line. The good news is that it is an annual. It usually dies out in hot weather, or during new Jersey's dreaded cold winter--or whatever happens in January. This calls for patience and attitude adjustment. And next time avoid the seed with inexpensive blends including annual ryegrass. Scotts even uses it sometimes. Their salesmen hate to sell the Gulf stuff--its crap.
Unfortunately--sometimes it does not all die in the first season--it may persist for a year or two.

foreplease
05-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Appears to be Gulf Annual Rye. That stuff is complete garbage. The only thing that does not add up, since you said you found it on the label, is that you say the plants were present before you reseeded.

It grows so fast maybe it just seems that way (ha ha ). I had a bad experience with Gulf Annual Rye, a grass suitable for pastures and paddocks. On a baseball field I was rennovating a couple years ago a school employee decided to roll the infield, which was pretty damp, while I was not there. It peeled up and stuck to the roller. No problem, he told me, I reseeded it.

Two weeks later, when the patch area was growing 3 times as fast as the rest of the infield and had a hideous color, I went looking for the bag of seed he used. Once I found it (why they had it is beyond me), I planted a test plot to prove what I beleived happened. I did not have to wait long. Below are pictures of the label, my test plot 8 days after planting it, and the spot on the infield. Even worse than the color difference was the extreme difference in growth rate.

It will die off without spraying. Just get some other seed in place. I don't think you need to wait for Rutgers.

buysell
05-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Buysell,
I am agreeing with you: Gulf annual ryegrass. Light green, glossy, slightly wider blade, very fast starter in new seed siutuation, rapid vertical growth, reddish color near the soil line. The good news is that it is an annual. It usually dies out in hot weather, or during new Jersey's dreaded cold winter--or whatever happens in January. This calls for patience and attitude adjustment. And next time avoid the seed with inexpensive blends including annual ryegrass. Scotts even uses it sometimes. Their salesmen hate to sell the Gulf stuff--its crap.
Unfortunately--sometimes it does not all die in the first season--it may persist for a year or two.

its been confirmed as per rutgers...annual rye it is:clapping:

Laner
05-17-2010, 11:29 PM
That looks real similar to what I have patches of in my lawn every year, but they fade out before summer really gets here. I assume it is coming from the head-land around the field directly behind my property. I actually mow part of the head-land to keep some of the weeds out of my yard and it looks better than having tall weeds/grass right at the barb-wire fence.