PDA

View Full Version : little oak trees

mckell68
07-06-2002, 01:49 AM
I've got two customers with large oak trees that dropped allot of acorns last fall. These babies are now growing and are really upsetting the customers. Both yards are polluted with tiny oak seedlings. Does anybody have any ideas on getting rid of them without killing the grass. I've told the clients that they will eventually die off--but they want instant results. Thanks---Mike BTW--in NE ohio, we are getting allot of brown-out on the grass, no rain last 3 weeks and 90 temps are taking there toll.

strickdad
07-06-2002, 01:51 AM
instant results?? pull them up... im not real sure but i bet "confront" would handle this..

awm
07-06-2002, 08:28 AM
after a good rain. go over an pull them up. if theirs enough to fool with ,temp plant them at home an sellum in the fall.
u know." i got this deal on the old family oak tree. put one in for each member of your family . 40 dollar per."
.:) whats funny is me tellin somebody how to make money. aint seen much this yr. drought

65hoss
07-06-2002, 08:42 AM
When you mow you handle most of the problem. But, whoever sprays should know what to put down that will not kill you grass. The spray company I work closely with told me he was going to come by my house and handle mine. I've got thousands of these little oak trees growing at the same height as my zoysia. I didn't ask what he was spraying, I just let him handle that.

Doogiegh
07-06-2002, 11:53 AM
A few of my customers have the same thing.. Thousands of little oak trees starting to grow from the huge dump of acorns we got last fall.

To suggest to pull them up would be ludicrious.

There are literally hundreds, if not a couple thousand.

One guy's entire backyard looks like it's an oak tree nursery.. Once the mower hits it, then they are all the same height, but I wonder how many cuts it takes to level them off and get rid of them completly <G>

G

awm
07-07-2002, 12:33 AM
think i know what ludicreous means ,but please excuse me. im just looking under every rock ,for ways to make up lost income.

MOW ED
07-07-2002, 11:06 AM
CROSSBOW

http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld02H000.pdf

haynestotallawn
07-07-2002, 12:43 PM
why not point out to them now that this problem needs to be taken care of in fall so that you don't have to deal with it in the summer. When the acorns fall, take them up, bag them, sell them to a hunt club. Charge the customer for the clean up and disposal, then charge the hunt club X dollars for the acorns. That's what I would try. It would be an extra service and an hourly one at that.