PDA

View Full Version : Best/Most cost effective vegetation killer?

lotsagrass
05-03-2010, 12:00 PM
What would be the best bang for the buck for something that kills...
- grass
- dandelions
- creeping charlie/ground ivy - Glechoma hederacea
- wild strawberry - fragaria virginiana

I swear I've tried roundup...but creeping charlie in particular for the most part just laughs at me when I spray it, even if I soak it! That stuff is tough to get rid of. I've got some gravel paths that border my flower beds that are full of various perennials and shrubs and the weeds mentioned above tend to get into this and it's hard to maintain. I'd like to find something that doesn't break the bank, kills stuff with little effort and maybe even lasts a little while so things don't grow back.

Is there such a thing?

Even worse is my gravel driveway. It's hard to keep stuff out of the driveway.

drumz2129
05-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Every spring I spray all my fence lines with a 30 gallon sprayer I have for my four wheeler. This is what I use:

Hi Yield KillzAll 2.5oz/Gal
Grazon P+D 2.5oz/Gal
HalfPint Surfactant 0.1oz/Gal

I buy all 3 from a local feed store. The killzall is the same as roundup except a lot cheaper. Last time I paid $80 for 2.5 gallons of Killzall and about $100 for 2.5 gallons of Grazon. The Surfactant helps the herbicide stick to the plants instead of running off. The Grazon is a selective for the broad leaf plants and woody stems. This mix has been 100% effective for the plants I have used it on in South La. It will even kill tallow trees (up to 5" diameter) by spraying about a 1' stripe on the lower trunk.

http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/grazonPD.htm

lotsagrass
05-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks. I think they sell that stuff at the local Southern States store. I'll go see if they have that.

mdlwn1
05-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Your perrenials (if you want to keep them) arent gonna like that very much....

lotsagrass
05-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Well the question is, how much does it spread/leech into surrounding areas of soil? Maybe I can use it on the driveway and stick to something less aggressive but equally effective (?) on the walk paths?

drumz2129
05-03-2010, 04:29 PM
I have seen little to no leaching on the areas I have sprayed.