PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Deck Height for Gravely WAW 34

csm_274
05-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Just bought the Gravely WAW 34 (high-end residential walk behind). It does an admirable job; however, the highest blade setting is still way too low...perhaps an inch too low. This isn't a show stopper (yet) as the summer heat hasn't started.

Does anyone know of a way to raise the blade on these machines? I've contacted Gravely for their input, but so far no response.

csm_274
05-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Just spoke to the company (actually Ariens) and there's no aftermarket kit to raise the blade. I was thinking perhaps a larger set of wheels, etc.

Does anyone have experience with this mower and know of a "do it yourself" way to fix this problem?

drumz2129
05-03-2010, 05:06 PM
If you do go with larger wheels, you will need to make sure you have enough room inside your front forks. Their website says 1.5-3.5" height adjustment, how high are you trying to cut?

MadMowerMike
07-18-2010, 01:12 PM
I have the same mower and the same issue. I'd like to raise the mower about 1/2". Have you figured anything out?

I found that there are spacers that you can remove under the blade that will give you around 1/4" - 1/2" more space but still not enough.

I'm mowing St. Augustine and the problem is the mower settles down pretty far into the lawn. Even at the highest setting, it is just a tad too short.

csm_274
07-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Unfortunately, no solution. I've resorted to pulling the pin, adding extra washers, and being "very" careful not to let the wheels pop off (they will rather easily).

I'm actually trying to come up with a way to keep the wheel from dropping off. Still working out the details.

MadMowerMike
07-18-2010, 09:38 PM
With mine, raising the front wheels more doesn't help. With the pins in and the washers all below the mount, the front and rear wheels are even (meaning the deck and blade are level) If I raise the front, the rear will be lower and the cut will still be at the same height.