PDA

View Full Version : **Sod Bid**

mr.rightlandscaping
05-03-2010, 03:00 PM
How's everyone out there....Was just wanting some input for you'll..I have a customer has has about 5500 sq ft of sod that he wants installed. The existing turf has to be removed and hauled off and some topsoil brought in. I was just wondering if I was kind of on the low side or am I hitting right on. One thing I'm doing is subbing out having the turf removed and hauled off and topsoil spreaded with bobcat/skid-steer for me so me and my crew can just come in and lay the sod...thought this would be easier than renting a sod cutter and spending the time to do it ourselves.

Sod/delivery: 1135
topsoil: 450(think 20 yards should be enough)
Start Fert: 55.00
Labor:
Sub contractor(removing turf/laying topsoil): 1,000
laying sod: 1120

Total:3760 (roughly .69c sq ft)

mr.rightlandscaping
05-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Come on guys...55 views and not 1 comment...please assist with this...thanks

2brothersyardcare
05-04-2010, 06:42 PM
i do everything 1.50 a square

kemco
05-05-2010, 02:01 AM
Based on what I charge for labor your price for laying the sod is pretty much in line with mine - I'd be at about $1200 if that helps. And I think you are pretty close on your sub work for sod removal IMO

merrimacmill
05-05-2010, 02:23 AM
I'm generally around $0.80 cents a square foot just for the material and to lay down the sod. The removal, prep, loam, and grading is all extra.

Mr. Vern
05-05-2010, 02:52 AM
I don't know your market, but that would be ridiculously low in my market. I generally get $1.80/sf for removal, grade repair and premium sod install. The sod we use is about $.10 more per sqft than you appear to be paying, but we own all of hte equipment and we do all of hte work ourselves. We get that price all day long with very few people balking(in fact we tore out 3 lawns yesterday). You need to remember that you are in business with insurance and taxes and all of the overhead. Not to mention, you might lose some of that sod on one of these jobs one day and if you aren't charging enough, you might not be able to make it right with the customer.
At the end of the day you have to go with what your market will bear, but if you can't make good margins then don't get into this market. Good luck!

yourlawnguy1
05-05-2010, 01:22 PM
I Charge $5.25 a yard for sod and instal. Grass removal, topsoil and front end loader extra.

fredmullegun
05-05-2010, 02:09 PM
A little over 1 inch of topsoil is enough? Unless my math is way off that is how much 20 yards would get you. I would figure a little more to fill any possible holes and low spots.

mr.rightlandscaping
05-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks guys for all of the feed back....I got a call back for the sub-work for removing the sod and speading the topsoil for me and it's going to be about 850-1000.00...he said it should take him about 12-14 hrs to complete his part. I figured my labor cost just to lay the sod was pretty good. I don't have much over head since it's just me and my brother -n- law and 2 helpers. We normally do most of the work ourselves and dont' have a lot of other expenses as far as heavy equipment. I also figured it should only tak us about 3 to 3.5 hrs to lay the sod and we should be done by lunch..We'll both be bringing home about 550 a piece after paying out our workers.

calligreenthumb
05-19-2010, 03:06 AM
I charge $1.25 per sqft of sod, and charge for everything from new topsoil, removal, grading, cleanup, ect. in california there is no way to survive on that amount for a bid of that size, although we do all the work. I get my sod myself for $.30 per sqft.....