PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki 21HP Not Charging

zukota
05-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Recently purchased Ferris, with a FH641v not charging. I didn't know it wasn't charging until it wouldn't start, about 3 PTO hours later. I'm new to these Kawasakis, and don't have many hours working on anything without an alternator.

I put a meter on the output side of the voltage regulator and got 0v. Tested across the stator and got ~14 -> 32v AC. Tested Resistance across the stator and got .4. Figured I had voltage going in and none coming out it was the voltage regulator.

Replaced voltage regulator - same problem. Service manual says resistance across the stator should be between .1 and .01. ok..

Replaced Stator - Same problem.

Digging through the service manual I notice a picture of voltage regulator shows that the Previous Owner had the stator and charging pins reversed on the voltage regulator, FAWK!!

Hook it up correctly, and now I have 14v - 21v *negative* DC on the output side of the voltage regulator. I can meter at the charging circuit fuse, and get +12v on the battery side and -14/20v on the charging side..?

ok, so I get to buy *another* voltage regulator.. but why is the currently bad VR giving a negative reading on my meter? Is there another problem here I haven't discovered, or is this part of the backfeeding?

thanks,
Max

piston slapper
05-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Do you have 12 volts positive going to the regulator? Most of these regulators have a diode in them that will not allow the regulator to turn on until it recieves 12v from the battery. Check your fuses.

Make sure you didnt get a mismarked battery (Pos for Neg) Check polarity.
Make sure the probes are correct on the meter.

zukota
05-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Yes, when the key is in 'run' I have +12v to the voltage regulator.

Battery is labeled and wired correctly and I have normal chassis ground +12v system.

Simply the circuit goes Battery - Charging Fuse - Switch - Voltage Reguator.

I can pull the charging fuse and have + on the battery side and - on the regulator side.

I just went back out. Fired the engine, the voltage regulator carge pin, without a connection reads -9v (at idle), when I pug the harness in, it reads +3v (difference between 12+ and -9). As I increase idle, it will fall off until I read back into the negative.

Jason Pallas
05-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Is the regulator grounded? Check for a good ground connection.

pugs
05-04-2010, 02:07 AM
If you had the stator hooked up to the wrong side of the regulator you may have damaged it. That "wrong" side of the regulator has both pins tied together so you basically had the stator shorted.

When you checked the stator resistance did you also check if it had any continuity to ground?

I cant remember ever replacing a Kawasaki regulator honestly. Usually find wiring problems not getting a good connection to the regulator from the battery. I have sold some regulators to people, but still question whether they needed them or not.

zukota
05-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Pugs - Oh yeah I fried it... but i'm not comfortable with it producing negative voltage. In my mind I'm having trouble understanding how I could cook it in such a way that it would invert the voltage..

Jason - Yes the regulator screwes into the engine. I tested for ground all over the engine, and chassis, and the whole machine is well grounded.