PDA

View Full Version : Mulching confusion

griffin16
07-06-2002, 09:54 AM
My lawns, up in the northeast, are starting to go dormant. So I call my local dealer to ask about a mulching kit for my wb. He tells me that I shouldn't be using a mulching kit and my mower isn't made for it. Is this guy full of sh** or what ?? I have a 48" Ransome/Bob-cat gear drive, 2002
Also, how many of you guys mulch or bag ???:confused:

Turfdude
07-06-2002, 10:53 AM
This time of year when turf is not growing as rapidly and is not as dense, we find ourselves bagging a lot less too. Get yourself some gator magnum mulching blades that shred the grass pretty good and just don't discharge into beds, on cars or homes. A true "mulching kit" will not be necessary.

Bob

RMDoyon
07-06-2002, 11:28 AM
Although I don't know about your particular machine, yes, your dealer is full of it.

Perhaps he's embarrassed because he sold you a mower that is not capable of mulching?

I mulch from May to October and never bag except for diseased grass and Fall/Spring cleanups.

Roger

David Haggerty
07-06-2002, 10:00 PM
Mulching must stop at about the Mason-Dixon line. The true mulching mower with zero discharge just doesn't cut it with the sappy fast growing grasses we deal with here.
Turfdude has the solution. double blades help too.
I have a mulching kit for my Toro 580-D, but it's strictly for autumn leaves. Any grass and it clogs. If the grass has grown up into the leaves I'd have to mow first without the mulch kit, then go back over it with the mulch kit on to mulch leaves.
I do have an aluminum Accelerator brand catcher for my 36" WB. I use it for frontal areas and small residential front lawns. I used it some in April and May, but I don't remember using it in June at all.
They don't even make a catcher for the big Toro 580-D, but if they did, what would I do with all the clippings?:dizzy:
I just mow more often when it needs it.

Dave