PDA

View Full Version : Little kids stealing lawns!?!

Turf Ranger
07-06-2002, 02:19 PM
Has any1 eles had this happen to them??? i was in a bid on a great peice of property, it had no fences or anything and pretty wide open... well to get to it, this ladie was looking for some lawn care.. one guy bid it at $70 and placed a bid at $50... figuring i would get it.. well she never called, and i went by her house a few times, but she was never there..... SO yesterday i go out there to find that some 8 yr old kid was mowing that yard that i wanted, and i guess his parents... the kid is probably doing it for like popscicles or something... anyways this sucks

LAWNGODFATHER
07-06-2002, 05:15 PM
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31572

Those popscicles are good.

SpicknSpan
07-12-2002, 02:00 PM
i hear ya man!

I have to register with the city, carry $1m liability insurance and buy my own gas, then some snot rag kid with dads mower and gas takes our work. I could try reporting them to the city but then i wouldn't get any work done, playing copper all day. (Hey, isn't that city employee's job description ENFORCEMENT.)

You can't beat 'em on price man. You got to snake 'em at their own game. Their trump is price because they have no expenses (thanks dad), you however should have better equipment, reliability, insurance, service, manpower, etc. As soon as you see the grass is slightly to long, go in with your pitch.

Do not go softly into that good night, but rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Spick n Span

JJOHN22042
07-12-2002, 02:15 PM
Think this has happend to all of us. But we all started as kids also. I would say good for Him and keep watching most kids don't stay doing this for long other things come up like School ,Sports,Girls. Then the Lady will be calling you.

65hoss
07-12-2002, 02:41 PM
It happens. But if she is hiring a kid she really wasn't looking for a professional. Keep looking for the real customers. Maybe in the long run she call you back.

LAWNS AND MOWER
07-12-2002, 02:44 PM
Turf Ranger- This lady sounds like your classic penny-pincher and consider yourself lucky you don't have to deal with her. Good luck!

LAWNS AND MOWER

joehar
07-12-2002, 03:57 PM
AMEN!!!!! lawns and mower,you are so right. he would never make her happy.ive had custmers that ive wondered if doing the work free would even satisfy them.ive never looked in my mirror as i drove away!!! plenty of bussiness out there

Alan Bechard
07-12-2002, 04:33 PM
We lose lawns to this type of deal fairly regularly. Their kids, the neighbor kids, the new commercial guy that will do it $5 cheaper and not trim. It bothered us at first but after a couple of years you realize the folks will be back to you shortly when it gets hot and like someone else said other interests take hold. Then you have the choice whether you want to deal with this person and at what price.

I doubt the deal will last long with the kid but sounds like a fair deal to me. He set the price, you provide the work. Who is to complain?

Evan528
07-12-2002, 06:07 PM
Dont always assume that because they are young they are undercutting you. By age 11 I was already running commerial equipment (wich I payed for) and was taking quite a bit of work from well established LCO's. I was threatend and confronted quite often by the companys thatw ere taking care of these propertys before me. You should have seen the look on these guys faces when they found out I was charging more then them. I did top notch work.... low price was never my reason for sucess. I can understand your fristrations about this. The advice I will offer to is to do the ebst quality of work you can and make yourself hard to replace! You learn the name of there family pet or mention a common interest between you and you are in for life! There is plenty of people who go for quality of work...not just price!

bubble boy
07-13-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Turf Ranger
one guy bid it at $70 and placed a bid at $50... figuring i would get it.. well she never called, and i went by her house a few times, but she was never there..... find that some 8 yr old kid was mowing that yard that i wanted, anyways this sucks

unless i'm reading wrong, you bid at $50? i believe that is what you meant to type.

so you got beat at your own game. i hate when 17yr old kids underbid me by a third of my prices, thats what YOU did to that other LCO. I guess its only natural you get underbid by an 8 yr old.

welcome to the game...

Turf Ranger
07-13-2002, 08:29 PM
bubble boy... why so bitter? i didnt screw over the other lco, it was trugreen. The lawn wasnt a $70 yard. Sorry for trying to place a fair bid to get a job.

bubble boy
07-13-2002, 08:37 PM
if indeed the 8 yr old is charging less (i guess this is not known for sure?) then perhaps he feels the job is not a $50 job, but a $30. to him that is the fair bid. who is right?

i havent seen the prop, if trugreen said 70 and the fair price is 50 then i apologize.

but that is a fair size discount.