PDA

View Full Version : Anti-scalp rollers

lawnkid
07-06-2002, 02:28 PM
Would my mower be ok without my front anti-scalp roller cause everytime I cut though thick lawns, the roller just seems to bend the grass down and not cut it leaving like a 6"strip of bent down uncut grass on my lawns.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-06-2002, 05:12 PM
What mower.

If that's the problem they are set to low to the ground and need to be raised up.

Or you have a nother problem.

lawnkid
07-06-2002, 08:24 PM
Sorry I'm referring to my Scag Hydro. How do you adjust the height of the rollers?

65hoss
07-06-2002, 08:32 PM
Your owners manual should have a section on setting up the rollers based on what mowing height you cut at. If it doesn't let me know and I'll get out my LAZER manual and tell you what settings it says. :)

yardboyltd
07-06-2002, 09:08 PM
Perhaps higher lift blades

LAWNGODFATHER
07-07-2002, 12:18 AM
I think Scag's have fixed positon scalp wheels. I have a feeling these have no relation to the problem.

How many strips does it leave?

If they are right behind the caster wheels, your blades don't have enough lift.

Or your deck pitch/rake is way off.

lawnkid
07-07-2002, 12:29 PM
Evereyone who posted,
I looked at my owner's manual and the technical reference manual to my mower and I can't find anything on how to adjust the rollers. Here is how my deck is set up. My deck is mounted on the bottom of the three holes. I have 4 spacers above my blades, and i have 4 spacers below my caster arm. I am cutting at 3 1/4". Should I add another spacer under the blade cause then it would be 1/4" higher than the front and I'd still be cutting at 3 1/4".

Yardboyltd,
Currently I am using gators and I think they are all the same lift.

LGF,
It only leaves one strip, right where the roller goes over th grass on the front of the deck.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-07-2002, 02:20 PM
Give us more details, this is like saying my car wont start and then later saying oh yeah it's a Chevy.

Start over

Brand

Model

Type

Size

Fixed or Floating deck

HP

Hydro or Belt

Was it new or used when you bought it

How old

Is it still under warrenty

Blades (Gator makes more than one type of mulching blades)

Gator Mulcher
Gator Mulcher high lift
Gator Mulcher Magnum

Are you using a mulch kit

How many spacers on castors

How many spacers total are for the blades

How many above and below

Tell us all

lawnkid
07-07-2002, 03:52 PM
It's a 1996 Scag 52" SWZ hydro fixed deck, 14 hp Kaw. recoil ,

bought used 2 years ago, warranty is up, no mulch kit(I wish), 4

spacers below caster arm, 4 spacers above blades, Ogura clutch,

approximately 2100 hours,(dealer said so), Ogura clutch

I don't know if it is a Gator mulcher or a Gator high lift. I know for sure though they are not magnums. The serrated part in the back of the blades do go up though so,I know they have lift.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-07-2002, 04:06 PM
I do need to know if it has 5-6 blade spacers?

If this strip is right down the center you pitch/rake is way off.

Do this take one spacer out of the front castor add to above.

Take 2 blade spacers and move over the spindle you should still have the same cut height.

But we changed the pitch.

Gator blades does the lifts turn in or out.

In will be mulcher out will be high lift mulchers.

Also try a set of reg high lifts.

lawnkid
07-07-2002, 10:59 PM
LGF,
Currently there are only four 1/4" spacers but I could add a fifth if needed. Yes the strip is right down the center of the deck. I know it is the roller. I adjusted my spacers how you told me to do so and it is the same height. My blades are mulchers. But they don't seem to mulch when I have my deflector down. It's probably cause it's not air tight. I use high lifts for spring and gators for summer and fall. They both seem to cut the same though for some reason:confused:

TLS
07-07-2002, 11:16 PM
Lawnkid,

First of all.....

Throw those Gator blades in the scrap bin.

Get a good set (OEM preferrably) of high lift STANDARD blades.

4 and 4 give me about 3 1/4" on mine too. I can take one caster spacer out and get a little better front pitch, but with my tires, and my inflation 4 and 4 give about a 1/8" front pitch.

I actually use Bunton solid foil fully sharpened (by me) high lift blades for my 48" SCAG. SCAG makes a 3" wide HI-LIFT blade that is nice, but drags down my 14hp 48" big time! Dont think they even make that 3" blade for 52's though.

If you want, just remove that front center roller, see if it improves. Its set so high, that I doubt that this is your problem though.

You problem in my demented little mind is those Gators!!! Get them the hell off there!

Then report back when you buy yourself a new fresh set of OEM high lifts (think their Marbane now).

JJOHN22042
07-08-2002, 12:11 AM
Have a Scag here also. Get Rid of those Blades stick with the High Lift and adjust your Spacers. I think you will be very happy..

yardboyltd
07-08-2002, 01:28 AM
yea

I would buy a standard high lift blade, and see if that does the trick