PDA

View Full Version : Lubricating Gearbox on Trimmers?

GLS
07-06-2002, 02:00 PM
Do you guys grease the gearbox on your trimmers? The manual for my stihl fs 85 says to check it every 25 hours. They sell tubes of grease and a little hose to fit it.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-06-2002, 04:06 PM
I check and fill all mine about 2 times a year.

I use regular grease.

If I can add a zerk fitting I will do so also.

Mark
07-06-2002, 07:41 PM
I grease my shindaiwas onece a season, the old grease is always real clean looking,but i guess it might loose some viscosity....Marks Mowing Service

Jimbo
07-06-2002, 09:45 PM
You know what I am going to say "Go by the manual".

I usually grease mine twice a year. I put about 250+ hours per year) on my trimmers; divided by 3 trimmers (roughly 100 hours per trimmer).

I use the Stihl grease which comes in a tube and the tube threads right into the housing (when the bolt is removed). The specification is just a small amount of grease.
I would definatly recommend the Stihl grease because it is a wierd viscosity, and Im certian it is formulated to work with the specific gears etc. If you try to go cheapo and pick your own grease you will risk picking to thick a grease and burn up your clutch, etc.

Just my opinion and experience on the subject.

Jimbo

We do 4 U
07-06-2002, 11:30 PM
I also have a FS 85 and all I do is screw in a zerk fitting in the bolt hole and squezze in a few squirts of multi-purpose grease ( my dealer told this is all that is required and that all Sthil is trying to do is make more money). I have beening doing this for 3 years now and have had no problems. The 85 still runs like a champ.

SLS
07-06-2002, 11:43 PM
Yep...pack 'em full...twice a year.

David Haggerty
07-07-2002, 05:29 AM
You don't want a good tight fit on that grease zerk. If the fit is tight it'll blow the seals on the bearings. I use a grease needle (the kind made to grease sealed bearings) to deliver grease down into the chamber. If you don't have something like that maybe you could use a little tiny hose on a grease zerk stuck into the end of the grease gun.

Dave

jkelton
07-07-2002, 11:43 AM
My father has been selling Shindaiwa for 18 years and we have never been for (or against) adding grease in the gearbox. By far the largest problem I have seen (albiet few) is operators flipping the washers upside down or not putting the washers back between the head and gearbox. Usually this creates a problem because this lets dirt and small rocks up into the gearbox and strips out at least one of the gears. Usually we go ahead and replace the whole gearbox when this happens and it's not cheap (I sold a T-260 gearbox yesterday for $106 + tax).