PDA

View Full Version : Techo Pro doing sub-par work

DVS Hardscaper
05-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Got a local contractor that keeps VERY busy.

Working for dirt cheap.

Not a small operation, either. The largest paver installer in the area.

They're installing pavers without ANY fabric as proposed in their proposals. Only placing fabric around the outer perimeter, just enough for the home owner to see fabric coming through the edges.

Some places of aggregate are one-inch in depth, some 3. Not a consistant 5-inches. Compaction is non-existant.

Contractor fails to return phone calls from unhappy clients.

This is not heresay, or rumors. This is the findings of contractors whom have been called to repair their work.

1) If Techo-bloc is as serious as they say they are about only signing up the best as "techo-pros" - do you think they'll pull such status from someone who is their top customer in the area????

2) Or will it be swept under the rug like the Techo Depot and it's installing of pavers?????

3) Will a techo-bloc representative with authority get word of this thread and contact me and grab the bull by the horns and clean house, or will they contact me just out of curiosity as to who their sub-par token techo-pro contractor is???

PlatinumLandCon
05-04-2010, 10:36 AM
D) all of the above

Long
05-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Nothing will probally be done about it.

greatinmulchbeds
05-04-2010, 07:11 PM
out of curiosity which company in maryland are you referring to? what makes me wonder is how a company like that continues to get so much work with building such a bad reputation and for techos sake I would hope something is done because people are going to question these "techo pro installers"

Long
05-04-2010, 07:18 PM
out of curiosity which company in maryland are you referring to? what makes me wonder is how a company like that continues to get so much work with building such a bad reputation and for techos sake I would hope something is done because people are going to question these "techo pro installers"

80% of the time it comes down to price. So if they have the best prices I'm sure they will pull the most work. What the customers dont understand is, you get what you pay for.

shovelracer
05-04-2010, 08:43 PM
I vote that nothing will be done if he draws good numbers. There is a similar situation around here with our local manufacture. They embrace him, he knows the entire office by name, and when he comes in he does not have to go to the desk, he just walks into the office and helps himself to his orders. I have seen this with my own eyes. Difference is this manufacture has proven that they care less about quality than they do about volume so since he specs their product it makes sense.

shovelracer
05-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Actually come to think of it I have not seen them yet this year. Perhaps it finally caught up.

DVS Hardscaper
05-04-2010, 09:31 PM
DVS Hardscaper quotes $15,000.

Sub-Par techo Pro quotes $11,000.00.

Even after a thorough, professional, competent, and exhaustive presentation - all I explained went out the door as soon as they hear prices.

I am not dwelling on Techo looking into the matter. Yes, pics were taken, and I might consider showing Techo reps the photos. I will admit I do take this industry very seriously, and I am passionate about it. I'm not losing sleep, this has been going on for about 5 years. I just find it interesting. I'm well aware that Techo is supposed to be a quality supplier focusing on quality everything. From start to finish. And yet, their number one buyer of materials is a major bottom feeder.

I understand we're in a recession, and I understand Techo has taken a huge hit just like most of us contractors have. And I understand that Techo wants to push product out of their yard.

But on the other hand, many of these jobs are qualified leads. The people are serious about getting the work done. So it's a sale for techo-bloc regardless if I do it or the sub-par contractor does it, or if another contractor gets it.

I priced a job last spring. My price was $21k. The sub-pat guy came in at $17k. He also did not factor in alotta critical variables. The home owner was all set to go with us, till they got the other proposal for $17k. They just could not get past that $4k price difference. the people were hellbent on techo. So regardless of who got the job - techo was selling the product.

With that said - ok - so they pull this clowns techo-pro status. I'd be willing to bet the quantity of product being shipped to our area will not decline much at all. Nor will the techo-pro's sales decline. All in all, it's just not a good affiliation for Techo-bloc.

forestfireguy
05-07-2010, 10:19 AM
If he's selling volume of techo products, they'll likely do alot of nothing. You guys know it's a volume game, and it's sad really, that they'd promote such a program and let it become about the sales volume. Now this is only my opinion, and I currently think highly of techo products, I like them over most others except for certain applications. All that said, I'll be extremely impressed if they take action on an issue like this.

DVS Hardscaper
05-07-2010, 05:34 PM
and ya know....taking action just could benefit Techo. Because it will gain more respect from myself, and I'm sure many ethical business owners.

Life is all about respect.

if you dont respect your spouse / significant other = you're relationship is doomed.

Same goes for employees, clients, and suppliers.

Techo steps up to the plate and terminates their shoddy "PRO" contractor that's buying mega square footage. Can you imagine how impressed the contractors that focus on quality would be? There would be alotta hat tipping to techo.

I seem remember Pete at his seminars talking about if their "pro" contractors dont do this or dont do that - they'll be pulled from the program. OK, can you imagine the jaw dropping if you're standing infront of 124 contractors doing your seminar and saying "we had a "pro" contractor in Maryland, he averaged a tractor trailer load of pavers a week. We got word that his work was as sub-par as all get-out. We investigated and found the rumors to be true. We terminated his company from the "techo-pro" program. Folks, we're serious about being the best. And the fact that we terminated a contractor from the program whom was buying tractor trailer loads weekly - backs up how serious we are, that we're not playng around."

I'm still waitin for a techo rep to call me with an interest in lookin into this :) Hasn't anyone done lunch with any of techo's personel this week?

wurkn with amish
05-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Seriously DVS???

why not just quit worring about it and fix the dudes work in a couple years or less? You might be so busy you'll not have time to come on here and wow us with your wisdom : )

Paver Gangster
05-08-2010, 06:35 PM
If Techo Bloc shut down every contractor another contractor whined about after beating them out for a job, there'd be no Techo Pro contractors left.

DVS Hardscaper
05-08-2010, 09:49 PM
no worrining, read the posts, i done covered that :)

p-gangster - you may wanna re-read this topic. No whining about beating out of a job. Although, ya know - Those of us that are passionate about this industry - do not have much respect for others that dont do the work correctly and up to standards.

Jus strikin up conversation about a contractor that has had (2) lawsuits slapped on him. That has installed aggregate base consisting of depths of 1", some places 3 inches, some places 5 inches, and oh....some places 2-inches! As well as onlu placing filter fabric on the outside perimeter, jus enough for the client to see when he/she returns home from work at the end of the day!

Nothin new in this country now-a-days. But certainly not the standards that Techo-bloc is founded off of. Nicolock - very possible. techo - no..................

stuvecorp
05-08-2010, 11:18 PM
I think it is a fair question but in the end if the guy is moving the material that is all that matters, not that I agree but I guarantee it's all about the Benji's.

I'll throw a little gripe of mine in, in this area one of the biggest guys is the official distributor for my chosen block/pavers, can't be any conflicts there.:rolleyes: