PDA

View Full Version : nieghborhood lawn boy prob. solved

kroll
07-06-2002, 04:53 PM
was mowing one of my rental props.and noticed
a young man 12-13 ? mowing a place I knew he didn't live. I watched for a while and he did a good job trim & all.(push mower)
so walked over and ask if he done this for hire , yes.
then I ask him if he would give me a price on this lot 14,400sf. He said $10.00
he now mows 4 props for me. maybe if I keep him busy He won't realize that while he's making $10
I can get the neighbors for $30.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-06-2002, 05:09 PM
You sound like me doing that. LOL

He don't relize you are making $20 off each while he is doing all the work.

I do see you getting slammed on this one.

Get his parents to sign off on a waiver and you should be safe.

kroll
07-06-2002, 05:34 PM
these are props. I own & have to mow for free.
I just have him do it like anybody else
on the block would.in hope it takes up some of his time to solicit.

awm
07-06-2002, 07:04 PM
am i the only one or didnt a lot of u guys
do this as kids. if i hadnt had dads mower ,i couldnt have seen godzilla 12 times when it came out.:)
course the motorised string trimmer hadnt been dreamed up at this time.
d-- how come im feelin old, of a sudden.
hmm must be the humidity er somethin.

Bob Minney
07-06-2002, 08:41 PM
Mowin lawns, collecting soda bottles for deposit, shoveling snow, anything for $ to get into the race track or buy hot rod mags.

vipermanz
07-07-2002, 01:24 AM
whatever works for ya:)

JJOHN22042
07-07-2002, 11:20 PM
If the Kid is that Good you should hire him for the Summer. I would give him like $10.oo Hr and he and you will be Happy.
:nono:

FrankenScagMachines
07-08-2002, 11:29 AM
What's his larger mower (you made it sound like he trims with a pusher, so he must have something bigger too?). Can he stripe with it or at least go straight? If he can do that with a rider, he's worth keeping probably, and I mean worth having to work for you with your equipment. Cause anyone who goes straight and even with a rider shows that he cares at least or else he would be going in circles, on a non ZTR rider.
Having him mow your properties, that's a win win situation huh.
Good luck,
Eric

kroll
07-08-2002, 04:59 PM
21" push mower is what he mow's with.
Trims with a green bent shaft string trimmer.
seem's to work for him. I'm just glad to see him earn his money honest, by mowing grass instead of selling it.

slingshot
07-08-2002, 09:26 PM
So lets see . you are keeping what everyone on the board calls a scrub in buisness . you guys better make up your minds are you going to report him to the irs or are you going to keep him in buisness by hiring him. everyone likes to say how it is these guys that bring the lawn care industry down and ***** and moan when you can only get 15.00 per cut in your area. I myself feel that the kid is doing a good thing by working over the summer i dont think anyone needs to take advantage of him. and if he does as good a job as you say maybee you will be working for him someday.

Scag48
07-12-2002, 08:49 PM
Scrubs are only bad if they don't charge enough. I hate them, but I wouldn't turn them in even if I did have a license. I don't have a license, but I'm only 16. But, I'm not bringing down the industry either. I've got nice equipment, I charge pretty well for my services and used this site to learn what I should be charging and am making pretty good money now that I figured it out. I don't see alot of 12 year olds around here mowing, just a bunch of 35 year old high school dropouts that are out mowing cuz they have no job. Sux for me cuz they're out to make a buck and I'm out to make 5. They lowball and now everyone is cheap. I just advertise in the high end areas where my work is appreciated and I'm paid well for it. I think it would be better to educate people like these and tell them NOT to lowball so that customers don't think that it's just a cheap service. My .02

Samurai WeedWacker
07-13-2002, 11:38 PM
In Wyoming it is illegal to hire anyone under the age of 18 to use power equipment. The same is probably true elsewhere. If a kid in your employ got injured or caused damage, the employer would be screwed, imho, whether the employer was a home-owner or a lawn pro. Check your local laws.

Brickman
07-14-2002, 12:13 PM
Samurai

You are right, unless the kid happens to have your last name. Then the stupid rules change.

Ten rules for this, twenty rules for that, AAGGHHH. :dizzy: :dizzy: