PDA

View Full Version : Scag/Kohler charging issues

hirthracer81
05-04-2010, 09:23 AM
I have an older Scag SSZ, with a Kohler 23hp? i believe the tag is ripped in half.
The problem im having is no charging, i have tested at the battery with it running and theere is no more voltage than if its not, also i have read a few older posts and i have tested the stator at the regulator, but this is where im kinda baffled, un-regulated at full throttle i have 30+ ac volts, regulated its only at about 24 ac volts, there is good battery power(12.6) at the center teminal.
Now when i test the resistance between the two stator leads i get between .4-.6, does that mean the staor is bad if Kohler only calls for .2 at the most?
Thanks in advance for any help guys!

Jay

VegetiveSteam
05-04-2010, 11:11 AM
24 volts ac at the stator plugged into the regulator would point me toward a bad stator. I always check them plugged in. The only thing left to check that I can see is the regulator ground. There should be a ground wire or strap on one of the regulator mounting screws. Make sure that is connected to the regulator and a good ground. If that checks out then I would say you have a bad stator.