PDA

View Full Version : simplify-simplify-simplify

mower BILL
07-06-2002, 07:40 PM
IM THINKING ABOUT DUMBSIZING MY BUSINESS DOWN. BURNT OUT WITH EMPLOYEES ,AND THEIR BRAINS. THANKS FOR LETTING ME VENT.

Ax Man
07-06-2002, 07:55 PM
I understand, I'm not the greatest manager in the world, and with crews I just can't seem to get the return expected.
I make more working solo.
When I do chance on a good operator, they burn out too soon.
The tough part is giving up the jobs. For me most of my clients have become friends, and I don't want to let anyone down....

Guardian
07-06-2002, 08:20 PM
I agree...just when all seems to be going well, I lose my right arm man. Then I'm sorry I went after new business. Maybe it should be just me, the wife & 90k worth of the best accounts I have. SIMPLE

awm
07-07-2002, 01:44 PM
i wont adress the downsizing or expandin but i do agree with your post.
simplify,simplify ,simplify.not braggin for real ,but ive developed it into an art.
probably says something about my lazy streak.:)

Barkleymut
07-07-2002, 02:01 PM
Ax Man, forget about the customers, do what makes you the most money. I have one employee that I am about to layoff because of the severe drought. This past week he went to the beach and I discovered that since about 30% of my lawns are not growing I can schedule a little better and do without him until September. But I know he won't be around till then so I'll have to go with someone else. I think if we all kept it small it would be more relaxing and more profitable. The only thing I hate is that most people ASSume that since I only have one employee I must not be making much money. I know a guy who went into lawncare 2 years ago and has lost just over 100K since. I don't understand? He has tons of trucks equipment and employees. LOL.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-07-2002, 03:14 PM
Go hispanic,

I did a while back and never had been this happy and getting so much done at lower labor costs in even less time.

Check out my thread American vrs Hispanic in elliments of biz section of LS.

DLS1
07-07-2002, 03:43 PM
Enjoy the cheap labor while you can LAWNGODFATHER. I noticed in Kansas City area seems like hispanics is mostly what is working full time on mowing/landscape work. But guess what, I have also started to notice that the hispanics are starting their own businesses in mowing (i.e. saw group of 3 last week pulling small trailer with a minivan at Mc Donalds mowing their grass). I assume they got the experience working for someone else and went out on their own and I am sure making more than they could working for someone else.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-07-2002, 04:27 PM
Don't worry I will be doing the H2B program next season for sure.

awm
07-07-2002, 05:42 PM
think im seein some sign that the yellow brick rd ,may be narrowed to one lane.
for our mexican brothers.just what ever is in big buisinesses interest. think mabe some of their interest might be served by the citizen wk force surviving. dont get me wrong ,im a capitalist.just know what ive seen make things happen in the past.

yardboyltd
07-08-2002, 02:26 AM
Can you make employees sign no compete agreements? It kinda seems wrong to our freedoms, etc... but it would be nice. I wouldn't mind them so much working for someone else because i know they are fairly loyal, but word it for starting there own biz...

Otherwise, what seems logical to me is keep them in there place.. Let them know only what they need to know. That's how to operate the equip. I'm paranoid about other people, even employees knowing about how much i get paid at jobs. They might know how to do the work, but they'll have no idea about the costs, etc.. getting into it. Makes it a bit tougher coupled with a shaky image will keep customers away... that's my reasoning.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-08-2002, 03:13 AM
Yardboy you can have them sign a non compete even if they go work for some one else. You can only limit them from going after past and present customers for a period of up to five years.

yardboyltd
07-08-2002, 03:20 AM
That's a great tool, LGF. Did you have ur hispanics sign? Also I was wondering again about your help... Do you have them wear uniforms? Also, how have the customers reacted to them?

AL Inc
07-08-2002, 10:47 AM
LSDLS-I couldn't agree more with your post. I've always had Hispanic workers since I started my own business 7 years ago. I have no choice-right now most American kids are sitting next to the air conditioner and spending dad's money. Hispanic workers are generally good, but they are definitely becoming "americanized". And it is definitely not cheap labor. There is an area near me where day laborers get together and contractors can pick them up. These guys want $120 for the day plus lunch. They also only want to work until 4-4:30. And, you guessed it, these guys are starting their own businesses after they learn the ropes. LGF- Say hello to your future competitors. Mike

LAWNGODFATHER
07-08-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by AL Inc
LGF- Say hello to your future competitors. Mike

And you are not?

Yardboy I did indead had them sign one.

What you guys don't like hispanic labor?

Is that any worse than the 15 year old kid down the street?

If you go back to close to my very first post I ever made, I asked if any knew about the H2B program.

No one did and most of you still are clueless.

Everyone is a future competitor!!!

robert payer
07-08-2002, 08:41 PM
**************Attention!****************
MowerBill,
There is nothing wrong with having co-workers. Be sure to hire the right people. Cut the bad ones loose on the spot, they provide the ample opportunities. You must also be of the mind set that the good ones will also come and go over time. Hire the best and turn the work out. Quality will follow. I did what you are thinking of doing. It does work but only in a small way. I had gone from a 5-6 man operation to my self the next season. It was theraputic (spelling?) at first I loved it. A living was also being earned. It got harder each year. Every one starts telling you that you should have workers. It seems so easy? You start doubting your self and for what ever reasons you really get further down in the dumps. DO NOT DO IT! I was there. You are a hard working established professional! Do not cheat your self and others of your talents.

Bill, E-mail me. I have been working with a number of "consultants" who have offered their help. I will be happy to share more information in private at: RJPGARDENER@MSN.COM

Has worked well for us this season. Had some bad eggs but they were removed quickly. Termination's take some practice but it must be done and becomes easier.

Just a quote, Bible? Genesis? (Maybe)

---------------Now go forth and multiply!-------------------

Evan528
07-08-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
Go hispanic,

I did a while back and never had been this happy and getting so much done at lower labor costs in even less time.

Lower labor costs? wow.... My 2 Mexican employees make 10 dollars an hour and dont even drive for me. I have found that The mexicans in my area will laugh at you if you offer then less then 9 dollars an hour even without any experience. Because good labor is so hard to find here, Mexicans and Puerto Ricans are in very high demand because of there motivation and hard working tendencys. They know how valuable they are and will not eccept being treated like "cheap slave labor". My guys makes about 600 dollars most weeks and still complain they dont make enough...... Times are changing......

Ax Man
07-12-2002, 07:55 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barkleymut
[B]Ax Man, forget about the customers, do what makes you the most money. I have one employee that I am about to layoff because of the severe drought. This past week he went to the beach and I discovered that since about 30% of my lawns are not growing I can schedule a little better and do without him until September.

I have gone through this several times.
I let the employee go and It takes me (alone) about an hour per day longer to do what we were doing together before.
It makes me feel like a fool.
It's hard to belive that I can put that much equipment out there and not make that much more coin with it.
Or maybe I only hire slackers.
Thanks for the confirmation!