PDA

View Full Version : When is it time to throw away your blades

Quail Creek LC
07-06-2002, 07:13 PM
Well, how do you guys know when its time to get rid of your old blades. Just curious what everyone thinks.

Ax Man
07-06-2002, 08:39 PM
I read somwhere that when the lift part gets under 1/8" thick.
I personally wait till the groove is about to wear through at the end of the blade.
Any bent blades are junked.

awm
07-06-2002, 11:23 PM
if im in doubt ,i put a new set on.
if theres a better cut it was time,and u need exstra blds anyway.jmho

Bassman
07-08-2002, 08:53 PM
The advice about the groove at the end of blades is a good tip. You may have to work your grinder a little more when the edge gets below 1/4" but at the cost of blades it can save you $$ over time. When the groove wears thru, (will split the metal), they are done. This usually happens like the other poster says when the edge is nearing 1/8".

Tvov
07-08-2002, 09:09 PM
Usually when my mowers start "striping", leaving a thin line of uncut grass, it means they need new blades. I always keep one set of "old" blades for each mower at the shop as backup in case one of the crew try to chop rocks in half with one of the mowers.

rodfather
07-09-2002, 04:41 PM
I heave 'em when the ends get rounded off...or when one of my employees makes them look like a boomerang...which ever comes first!

FrankenScagMachines
07-09-2002, 08:13 PM
When they are either rounded on the end, or won't hold a sharp edge. Never had them wear through near the lift. I EXTREMELY HIGHLY RECOMMEND having them sharpened by somone who has a sharpening machine, it will come out at the original angle and be razor sharp, and hold a much better edge (more time between sharpenings). This is usually about $4-6 per blade. I know it could be cheaper doing it yourself but you would have to take the time and bother and it's still not right in the end. You will end up taking more off than the good sharpeners and it still isn't as good of an edge. Keep two or three sets around at a time, then you can have a set on the mower at all times, have a back up set handy at the truck or trailer, sharp, and always have one of those pairs in the shop at all times (they usually can't sharpen them immediatly so count on a few days wait). That's what most LCO's here do. I work P/T for a repair shop and the guy got one of those sharpeners this year and he wouldn't ever go back to a grinder. He makes more money per blade, takes less time, gets better results, than doing it with a regular grinder. So since I work for him, when I go there I take off my blade and take it with me. So I only have one on hand (don't do alot of lawns anyhow). He docks what it's worth ($4) off of my pay and we're both happy.
Eric

Mark
07-09-2002, 11:50 PM
This is a little off topic but i ordered a set of Raptor Marbain Mulching Blades and ran them for 5-min they cut something awful, Ill try a give them away if not ill throw them away. Marks Mowing Service

TLS
07-10-2002, 10:23 AM
When they look like the rusted one in this picture.

The edge gets worn back, and it has big gouges in the blade. Anytime the effective length of the blade shortens, your cut quality suffers.

The old rusted blade measures 20-1/4" long tip to tip.

The new blade measures 20-9/16" long tip to tip.

Big difference in cut quality.

I save the old ones in case I need to mow a field or a rough lot.

TFL
07-10-2002, 07:19 PM
i go through a bout a set a week on each mower mowing bahia on my large accounts. have to be sharpened one to two times a day though

MikeLT1Z28
07-11-2002, 02:12 PM
what do you sharpen with tls?? that's about an even silver edge!

Jimbo
07-11-2002, 07:56 PM
I work P/T for a repair shop and the guy got one of those sharpeners this year and he wouldn't ever go back to a grinder. So since I work for him, when I go there I take off my blade and take it with me.
He docks what it's worth ($4) off of my pay and we're both happy.

Eric, Eric, Eric,

You work for the man Part Time and he wont even let you sharpen your blade for free. Come on. It cant take that much off the grinding wheel.

Thats exactly why I started my own business.

I feel sorry for you. You should keep working hard like you have been, buy your own grinder and run that guy out of business.

Jim

TLS
07-11-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by MikeLT1Z28
what do you sharpen with tls?? that's about an even silver edge!

I see nothing super special with that blade, all of my sharp ones look that way....Doesn't everybodys??

I use a Brandlein Machine Co. Fireball 300C.

The sharp blade is a brand new DC 3" Hi-lift. Haven't tried it out yet, just sharpened it the other day. The old rusty one just happens to be my original factory OEM set from my 1997 DC Flatlander! Just never got around to chucking it out!

I am a blade perfectionist! I always seem to find all the rocks and all the burried sticks when I use a new set like pictured above, they just jump out at ya!!!