PDA

View Full Version : Art

kris
07-06-2002, 09:39 PM
I will have the pleasure of seeing this first hand in August.

Beautiful eh !

kris
07-06-2002, 09:41 PM
another

rkbrown
07-06-2002, 09:57 PM
Wow !!!

lawnstudent
07-06-2002, 11:55 PM
Your handy work Kris? What are the plantings on these sculptures?

jim

dan deutekom
07-07-2002, 07:36 AM
Now that would be fun to work on. Impressive!

kris
07-07-2002, 08:05 AM
No it's not my handy work .... Like I said ... I will see this in person in August ...Ill let you know what the plantings are then.

Guess anyone? Ontario guys should have a good shot at this.

kris
07-07-2002, 02:16 PM
Lanelle,

Please join in with your guess on the plantings used. Thanks

diginahole
07-07-2002, 08:06 PM
Pretty tough to tell from the picture but I'll take a guess

Duck wings artemisia, Body ajuga, head winter creeper.

Lanelle
07-07-2002, 11:27 PM
Knowing where this duck spends the winter would make the guessing easier. Oh well, here goes. Head: ajuga or sedum; neck ring: golden sedum or scotch moss; back: coleus; wing: juniper; body: bagatelle barberry. I'll feel lucky if I got any of those right.

1MajorTom
07-08-2002, 08:14 AM
This duck is at the Mosiaculture Gardens in the Niagara Parks.

dan deutekom
07-08-2002, 07:49 PM
My guesses are wings of Santelena, body of polka dot plant and the head of Scotch moss. Excuse the spelling and lack of latin names but my head is just mush right now. I would bet this duck spends the winter in a greenhouse.

robert payer
07-08-2002, 09:21 PM
Way cool sculptures! What a craft. Those are great! Niagra as in the falls? I remember some cool multi color complex plant patterns there but nothing like those sculpted animal composites.
In Columbus Ohio there is the Deaf Gardens which has a life size reconstruction of Serauts Famous painting: "Bathers at the La Grande Jatte" Very cool but just green color. Sure you can dig up photos on the net. It covers a bit of ground to be accurate as far as distances. Worth a look.

Speaking of sculptures,Home Depot or Lowes?, has these 2.5 foot Juniper ducks, baskets and other stuff. I think they were $69.00 They were very interesting. Thought of buying one, did not have a application for usage in my yard.

Thanks for the thread.

kris
07-08-2002, 10:11 PM
Yes Niagara as in falls.

I will be flying in on August 15 and outa there on 16th.

robert payer
07-08-2002, 10:40 PM
Kris,
You should have a great time. Your country has done a great job with the Canadian side of the falls. I was there last year. So much to see and do! Have you been there before?

Winston Churchil was asked once on his second visit at the falls, Have the falls changed? He replied: "The principle seams the same, the water still keeps falling over"

or public aid for Niagra Falls ad:
There I stood and humbly scanned/ The miracle that sense applas,/ And I watched the tourists stand/ Spitting in Niagra Falls.

What a marvel the Falls are! Enjoy those sculptures.

kris
08-18-2002, 07:08 AM
The answers,

Wings - Lavender Cotton

Back - Alternantheva - red leafed
- Alternantheva - green leafed

Neck - Sedum

lawnstudent
08-18-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by kris
The answers,

Wings - Lavender Cotton

Back - Alternantheva - red leafed
- Alternantheva - green leafed

Neck - Sedum

Kris,

Outstanding topiaries!

Lavender cotton is a mediterranean plant growing in zones 6 - 9. Alternantheva does not tolerate frost. They must take these inside in winter?

jim