PDA

View Full Version : Scrub Retirment Plan

Jimbo
07-06-2002, 11:06 PM
Those of you who have read my posts know that I cut at a Daycare center (among other places). Well I have been watching the property next door (doctors office) and since I am already in the area Im thinking about sending some flyers over.

Well last week I saw the Scrub who cuts the place. The guy is in his late 50's, and I think he is semi-retired. He cuts the place with a Craftsman mower which must be about 15 years old. This mower is in such bad shape I would be ashamed to sit on it. One headlight is out, worn out tread, and it is rusty as can be. I bet the blades have never been sharpened because he leaves more stringers behind than you would think possible.

Well I kind of felt bad about taking away his retirement money by sending out a flyer, but what I saw today blew me away.

I watched this monkey spray about 5 gallons of weed killer around the perimeter of the property. He even sprayed right up on the fence to the playground of the daycare center. I know this guy cant have proper License's to spray, and Im sure he doesn't have insurance.

What do you think?

A1 Lawn@Landscapes
07-06-2002, 11:15 PM
What about your retirement money? Send the flyer. Mention you care for the property next door. I would tell the owner of the daycare what you saw. That is her/his livelihood not to mention you might be blamed if someone gets sick. My kids go to daycare and if I ever found out some scrub sent 5 gallons of mystery herbicide/pesticide where they play I would not be pleased to say the least.

Mowingman
07-07-2002, 12:26 AM
A scrub bunch just took a 30,000/yr contract that a friend of mine had for past 4 years. It was a county bid that comes up every 4 years. They under bid him by 6,000/yr!!! Well today was their first weekend to mow the three properties involved. They show up with a 42" Crapsman tractor, 2 Crapsman 21" PUSH mowers, and 2 Troybilt 33" mowers. After less than 4 hrs on the biggest property, (usually a 24-28 manhour job with large commercial mowers), the two Troybilts were broken down, and their 4 man crew had completed less than 1/10 of the work. I think their permanent retirement will begin as soon as the rest of their junk fails. Sears turnaround time on repairs here is usually in excess of 6 weeks.:D

geogunn
07-07-2002, 01:36 AM
hey jimbo--a little compassion might be in order here for the old fart for reasons too numerous to go into.

my only question to you is why you don't know the facts about the property adjoining yours before seeing the old man.

as I practice my job selling, if I land a job, I immediatly hit the adjoining properties.

I never wait to scope the competition.

just my thoughts.

GEO

Tony Harrell
07-07-2002, 08:07 AM
Contacting surrounding proerties is sometimes called cloverleafing, think of a four leaf clover. Or, you could try going to the wrong address like I did one time and end up with an account.

rkbrown
07-07-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Tony Harrell
Contacting surrounding proerties is sometimes called cloverleafing, think of a four leaf clover. Or, you could try going to the wrong address like I did one time and end up with an account.

Thats the kind of mistake to have, Tony !!! :)

MOW ED
07-07-2002, 11:02 AM
Did you inform someone at the daycare center that this goof just sprayed something that probably will be harmful to a child that comes in contact with it.
After that would come the States inspector because there are rules for spraying schools and daycares. I don't care if the guy uses a crapsman to mow or if he uses a push reel mower but when you carelessly spray you are endangering lives. That is why they regulate US. That is why my insurance rates are HIGH and rising.
I certainly dont want to bust someones balls for trying to make a buck but being stupid with chemicals crosses the line.

awm
07-07-2002, 01:55 PM
i was sympathetic for your scrub ,until u mentioned the chemicals.mabe u could just strike up a conversation with him . let him know your concerns. also a good idea to talk to the child care owner. also u might mention to this guy that gettin a lttle knowledge an a licence ,aint exactly rocket science.:)

Jimbo
07-07-2002, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the post's everyone. I will probably have a word with him next time he is out there. Plus I will inform the center I work at so they know it wasn't me spraying the fence line.

I need a digital camera for this sort of instance.

GEO- I don't have a good answer to your question. I guess I move a little slower than you. I really don't need the extra work but it is a nice open property (about 3/4 acre) and currently it looks like **** with all those stringers, and burnt grass from spraying. I figure I am already there and it will take no time on my ZTR to cut it properly.

(But I bet the old farts only charging $20-$25.00 per cut). I HOPE WITH THE WAY IT LOOKS THEY ARE NOT PAYING HIM MORE.