PDA

View Full Version : Quick question, cant get either caster fork out of the bearings

flydelsolsi
05-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Any good tips on how to get stuck caster forks out of their bearings? I tried:

Fluid Film
Liquid Wrench
Rubber Mallet
Prying with 2x4
Prying with crowbar
Hitting with sledge hammer

Neither side will come out. I can get the top of the fork about 1/4" on each side above the bearing, but they wont go beyond.At this point I am planning to buy new forks and bearings, I just need to get these old ones out. Anyone else ever run across this problem? Thinking about cutting the fork in half and grinding away the rest to get it out, but dont know if there is a better way. Its on a BOP quick mower if that matters. Picked it up used and the previous owner obviously didnt property care or maintain the forks.

FIXDISS
05-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Did you make sure there are no snap-rings holding it in there ?

flydelsolsi
05-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Yes sir, they are supposed to just slide right out. I know he had it appart at some point because he lost one of the spacer washers. Sure doesnt want to come appart now though.

ed2hess
05-05-2010, 10:58 PM
I missing something....with a sledge hammer and pin you can't drive the forks down out of those little bronze bearings?

flydelsolsi
05-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Lol, nope. I took a grinder to it and got it taken care of though. Never seen anything like it.

Spn38
05-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Here's a trick for a seized pin, spindle,etc... cut the pin flush with the end of the sleeve, weld the perfect size nut to the end of sleeve, and impact a bolt to push it through.

topsites
05-06-2010, 03:20 AM
Universal gear puller.

piston slapper
05-06-2010, 12:46 PM
BFH (BIG F*#@G HAMMER)

Sometimes it helps when you add some
enthusiasm...wear safety glasses