PDA

View Full Version : bench grinders

KNOWHOWELTD
07-06-2002, 11:06 PM
who uses a electic bench grinder to sharpen their blades?

who uses a file?

who uses a hand electric grinder and sharpens the blades while under the deck?

spence

LAWNGODFATHER
07-07-2002, 12:38 AM
Spence I use a Lesco/ like an RPG blade sharpener. It is dedicated to sharpening mower blades (Can be used for other stuff)

I am soon to get a Magna matic.

SLS
07-07-2002, 12:46 AM
Bench grinder here.

I too see a Magnamatic in my future.

geogunn
07-07-2002, 01:44 AM
I use a 1/2 hp delta grinder (nice grinder) but I wish I had one of the dedicated grinders.

for touch ups on the machine I use a mini die grinder. works great.

wear safety glasses!

GEO

TLS
07-07-2002, 11:43 PM
Bench grinders are a very usefull tool for your shop. I use mine on every single blade that I use. Then I use the Fireball 300-C to actually sharpen them. I use the bench grinder to wire wheel off all the caked on grass buildup, and the other side to touch up the bottom of the blade and any BIG divots in it,...then....its off to the Fireball for the actual sharpening. But in no way would I ever use one to put a consistant cutting edge on a blade. Then its off to the Magna-Matic Balancer to balance them properly.

Mark
07-08-2002, 01:11 AM
RBG-218 Pro blade sharperner,does a wonderful job, ive had mine for 2yrs now and haven't worn the wheel no more than 1/8in.....I also dress it with the diamond tip..Marks Mowing Service

David Haggerty
07-08-2002, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by KNOWHOWELTD
who uses a electic bench grinder to sharpen their blades?

who uses a file?

who uses a hand electric grinder and sharpens the blades while under the deck?

spence

None of those. I have used a 9" handheld grinder, but the 4 1/2" works almost as well. I always put them in a vise though. I have to take them off to balance them anyway.

Dave

Lawn-Scapes
07-08-2002, 05:40 PM
DeWALT 4 1/2" handheld angle grinder and Quick-Grip bar clamp are all ya need ;)

lawnkid
07-08-2002, 08:27 PM
I use a file. I think it works better than my bench grinder. I wish I had a blade grinder but a file does an excellent job. I sharpened my gators on saturday so sharp that when I accidently scraped it on my arm some hair came off. It's like razor sharp. Plus I like the file better than the bench grinder cause it's easier to make a straight line filing. I just put my blades in a vise grip and sharpen away.

HacMan91
07-08-2002, 09:29 PM
We use a belt sander with about a 60 or 80 grit belt. You would be surprised at the edge it gives you. It takes very little metal off and you dont get that chewed up look like some grinders do. We put the blade in a vice. We use about 5 or 6 belts a year. A magnamatic would be nice but this works pretty good and doesnt cost nearly as much.

Bob Minney
07-09-2002, 01:31 AM
Bench grinder and a file have served me well
doing 12-20 21" blades a week
just dont see myself buying a $4-500 dedicated blade grinder

dr grass
07-09-2002, 11:09 AM
Lawnkid - What are you doing man? you never sharpen a mower blade razor sharp like that. there are at least 2 reasons that i know of. first, this makes the mower blade actually cut the grass blade, making it grow immediately. you should leave about a 1/16 of an edge on the blade. this makes the grass blade break off and keeps it from growing for 3 days. another point is the blade dulls alot faster when sharpened to a point. you wont get through half a day without having to sharpen them puppies again.

Now who hasent been doing this very long? ? ? lol. :p

Shep

TLS
07-09-2002, 11:13 AM
Heck, if all I was sharpening was 21" blades (push mower type) I probably wouldn't want or need a dedicated blade sharpener (at least not a BIG 1hp one).

For those, I'd just stick to taking them off and rubbing the edges on rough concrete patios !!! :D

SLS
07-09-2002, 11:43 AM
TLS:

:laugh: LMAO!!! :laugh:

...rubbing 'em on the edges of rough concrete....hahahahahaha!

I guess I've been doing it all wrong. I usually leave my blades on the mower, engage them at full throttle, and then run the mower over a cast iron manhole cover. Seems that it would be much quicker to sharpen them that way though. The shower of sparks is a bonus...especially at night. The neighbors really enjoy the 'light and noise' show. They rush to their windows to watch everytime! :D

TLS
07-09-2002, 11:53 AM
Manhole cover = Sewer gas + Sparks = :nono:

gogetter
07-16-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by dr grass
Lawnkid - What are you doing man? you never sharpen a mower blade razor sharp like that. there are at least 2 reasons that i know of. first, this makes the mower blade actually cut the grass blade, making it grow immediately. you should leave about a 1/16 of an edge on the blade. this makes the grass blade break off and keeps it from growing for 3 days. another point is the blade dulls alot faster when sharpened to a point. you wont get through half a day without having to sharpen them puppies again.

Shep

huh? This would go against everything I've heard here so far. Everyone talks about "razor sharp" blades. How does "breaking" the grass blade keep it from growing as opposed to cutting it?

Nelson
07-16-2002, 08:37 PM
4 1/2" Grinder here with Impact & Clamp..Total minutes
5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And u have a good sharpened blade.....:sleeping:

SCAPEASAURUSREX
07-16-2002, 10:22 PM
4 1/2" angle ginder with course wheel to shape and remove the dings and missing pieces ( LOL ) .. then I dress it with a file to clean it up and obtain a razors edge.. Can usually get between 15 to 20 lawns per sharpening.. has been working well for me all these years.. I tried the bench grinder route and could not obtain a nice even edge.. then I tried the belt sander and did not want to sit there all day to get results, so went back to the good old angle grinder... put the blades in a bench vice and grind away.... As someone else mentioned always wear goggles or a face shield when doing this , cause you will get hit in the face.... The sharper it is the less strain on the machine, and the better the finished cut... The breaking grass idea ??? That will only tear the grass casuing it to brown and the customers to complain....

Darryl G
07-16-2002, 11:47 PM
I use a file like Lawnkid but only sharpen them knife sharp, not razor sharp. I only have 3 blades to sharpen a week, and there's usually only 8 or 10 hours on them, so it's not a big deal. I prefer a file because the blades last longer, don't heat up and loose their temper, and I actually like filing. I don't even clamp the blades in the vise anymore. I just sit on a bench, put a rag in my lap, hold with one hand and file with the other. If I had more blades to sharpen, I'd defintely do it differently, but for my small operation, a good file is all I need.

Turtle II
07-17-2002, 12:19 AM
Greeting's to all. This is my first post and I would like to say this is awsome.

I am new to commercial lawn equinment and was wondering about the blade balancing thing. Only a few of you have mentioned it.

I will retire from the military in 2004 and am already planning a small lawn care operation. I am glad I found this site. You guys rock.

TLS
07-17-2002, 12:23 AM
This is the Magna-Matic 1000.

A VERY accurate tool!

LAWNGODFATHER
07-17-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by dr grass

Shep

Man I have been doing this wrong all these years again!!!

This is like that guy who said striping the lawn was bad for it.

I have been driving over the lawn with trucks and now I am "cutting" the grass. Damn all this stuff is bad for the lawn.

I am with gogetter on this one.

First off a 1/16 of an edge would be a dull blade, and that would leave brown tips on all the blades of grass that is cut. Now if that is what you mean by slowing the growth down from cutting it, that is unhealthy for the lawn.

Second breaking the blades of grass is worse than a dull blade.

Yeah a "dull" blade will last longer you are wearing it down less by not removing material to sharpen it.

BTW I go all day and could go all the way through the next day with my razor sharp blades!!

Also aren't we "cutting" the grass?

That would mean I used a lawn breaker huh?

For Sale Lawn Mower, going to buy a lawn breaker.

yardman1
07-17-2002, 01:28 AM
I guess I need to stop sharping blades and let them get real flat on the edge side, since I have been sharping them for all this time for nothing...:dizzy:

SCAPEASAURUSREX
07-17-2002, 10:06 AM
I will try to put all my blades on backwards or upside down That should improve the quality of the cut or break ? Especially with doubles and gators, seratoions pointed down... Or would that make the mower a tiller ??