PDA

View Full Version : Tire slippage/ Turf damage

Jimbo
07-06-2002, 11:12 PM
Does anyone have problems with damaging the turf on their ZTR?

I have a new 52" ZTR (I wont mention brand due to the possibility of dumb replies) and when I am on a slight off camber and try to back up I get wheel slippage which damages the turf. This seems to be more prevelant know that the ground is hard and dusty.
I was thinking about lowering the rear air pressure. What do you think?

gvandora
07-06-2002, 11:54 PM
What does slightly off camber mean? A good way to avoid turf damage is to use a 3 point turn instead of the zero turn.

SLS
07-07-2002, 12:07 AM
Jimbo,

I understand what you mean by "off camber"...I think.

If you are refering to the front of the machine being lower than the back (pointed downhill) AND at an angle to the slope...

If so...this is common with ZTR's because of the front-to-rear weight distribution. When sitting an a slope at an angle facing downhill there is more weight on one drive wheel than there is on the other...causing the slippage of the 'lighter' side.

The remedy (at least for me) is to try and keep the nose of the machine pointing uphill when going forward and the rear of the machine pointing downhill when reversing.

When you must go forward downhill try decreasing the angle of approach by either going straight downhill or at a very shallow angle.

I have quit even trying to back up when in the position that you are refering to...it's just asking for 'scuffs' on the turf. It's easier just to go on down and turn around and approach from the opposite direction (going uphill instead)....unless you are about to run off a cliff, or into a lake, or something. :eek:

This technique had helped me from riding the "White Knuckle Express" more than a few times. :D

Don't worry...you'll get used to the quirks of the ZTR with a little more time behind the 'sticks'.

Jimbo
07-07-2002, 08:40 PM
Thanks SLS.... Your reply was great. You explained exactly what I was talking about when I said off camber ( I counld not have explained it that well myself). Now I know that this is a common problem and that I should try avoiding these situations.
Sometimes on this off camber I would try to back up a few feet to re-align my rows, but the tire on the uphill side would spin. Next time I will just keep going and come the other direction.

The slope I was reffering to is a side hill but I have to approach the start of the side hill at a 45-degree downhill angle due to a very large tree thats in the way.
Thanks again.

Jim