PDA

View Full Version : flopped over grass....what to do?

parkd
05-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

Pretty cool to see so many passionate people about lawn care :D

Here's a problem I'm having with my new home: Some areas of grass have flopped over and are dead. Because it's matted down, going over it with the mower doesn't do much. How do I get rid of these areas and get healthy grass growing again? :confused:

Any help is appreciated

ChiTownAmateur
05-05-2010, 05:37 PM
you need to continue analyzing your problem by raking up the grass that is matted down and then mowing over it again.....get it to stand up a bit with the rake, then mow it off so that you can see what is under there.

matted grass grew too long most likely, and has bare dirt underneath. You probably need to overseed and possibly aerate it before doing so. Doesn't sound like a big problem but you need to find out more before you can really fix it.

ricsin1
05-06-2010, 01:07 AM
i have similar problem... i brought a house recently where the last home owners mustve drove over the grass CONTINUOSLY and the grass is matted down in a section where the car tires goes... the grass wont grow HIGH - it seems to grow "outward" ( it is fescue ) ....... my plan this fall is the ROUND UP those sections that have been ran over with the car tires , then overseed with fresh grass to get it grow "UPWARDS" then only drive on in it SPARINGLY!!!

RigglePLC
05-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Grass naturally grows straight up. It responds to gravity. It will always grow directly opposite to the center of the earth. So if it has been flattened down--when it grows again--new growth should be straight up. Give it a few weeks. Keep the water and soil nutrition at optimim levels.

parkd
05-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks, chitown and riggle. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

ChiTownAmateur
05-12-2010, 10:14 AM
ricsin your issue probably requires that you till up the car tire tracks. they are compacted by the weight of the car/trucks running over it and the grass cannot get a proper footing anymore. you'll have beautiful new grass quickly but you'll need to keep the tires off for several months to get it reestablished.

EdTLawn
05-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Flopped down grass usually means the cell structure of the grass is weak. Just fertilize with a granular fertilizer with a high phosphorous and potassium content and I am sure it will be standing after the first rain fall !

White Gardens
05-26-2010, 08:40 AM
ricsin your issue probably requires that you till up the car tire tracks. they are compacted by the weight of the car/trucks running over it and the grass cannot get a proper footing anymore. you'll have beautiful new grass quickly but you'll need to keep the tires off for several months to get it reestablished.

Yep.

When the ground is soft I sometimes just take a Bulb fork to the area and lift it as much as possible if the area is small. That way I'm not damaging the existing turf tilling it up. But if it's a bigger area, tilling is generally the only answer.

cgaengineer
05-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Core aerate the tracks, fertilize and water.

MarcSmith
05-26-2010, 02:16 PM
maybe something as simple as a leaf rake to help loosen the matting. if the grass is matted since is too long... then the rake would help loosen the blades such that when the mower drives over it the vaccum effect would stand some of the grass up and start cutting it...

americanlawn
05-26-2010, 06:41 PM
parkd -- what kind of grass is it, and where is it planted? many fine fescue cultivars naturally do this (normal). same with rough bluegrass. need specific info. thanks. :canadaflag: