PDA

View Full Version : Cutting batting cages?

agrostis palustris
07-06-2002, 10:45 PM
For those of you who have customers with batting cages, how do you cut the grass inside of them? I got 1 guy who has a 40' long batting cage that has grass inside it. The thing is enclosed by a relatively light duty netting. Any thoughts as to how to cut it? Whenever I use a trimmer it comes out looking really bad, and to bring a big mower in there is a pain in the rear end.

Doogiegh
07-06-2002, 11:20 PM
So use a small 21" mower with a muching kit. Just be careful that you don't catch the netting up in the blades.. Especially on a windy day.

Gary

gene gls
07-07-2002, 12:14 AM
I have a new customer with a batting cage for the kids. I use a Walker 48" GHS. Get some "S" hooks and hang up the bottom of the net out of your way all around the cage. I have no problem.

Gene

agrostis palustris
07-07-2002, 01:12 AM
Thanks for that idea Gene. About how long does it take you to set up this S-hook deal? I think the cage is like 40 feet long. A guy I worked for last year was putting up a 60 foot one :(.

JJ Lawn
07-07-2002, 07:23 AM
Glad I am not the only one with this problem.... :)

Usually my customer has the net up. But if not, I just roll the net up and attach a bungi cord about every 8 ft. Takes about 5 min to do this.

When he replaced the old net he left it piled on the ground and I mowed around it for quite awhile. Then one day something caught my eye as I was going around it, and my Walker caught the net. In just a second, it wrapped up so tight on the one blade that it streched and broke blade bolt. Had to replace spindle on 52" deck. Those nets are tough. So be careful when mowing around batting cages.

Jim