PDA

View Full Version : HELP ASAP! Is my clutch dying?

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Hey, all. I'm on my first hydro mower, so I have no expertise for diagnosing clutch problems.

I'm running a BOP Dually 44".

Last night, clutch wouldn't disengage the blades. Even if I turned off the mower entirely.

So this morning (with problem magically gone), I relubed the clutch with WD-40 via owner's manual, and head out to work.

On lawn #6, I could smell that strange odor of too-hot-metal-parts and stopped to inspect mower. Thought it was a loose spindle I'd known was about to fail. No biggie, I had the spare parts ready and waiting. Run home and replace the two remaining spindles so all three are new.

Fired up mower, and there is a clatter (might be too strong of a description, but something audible was not right). It's coming from my clutch.

I attempt to engage blades, but it will only slowly spin them (despite being at full throttle). Light smoke emanates from clutch (could be the WD-40 I just relubed it with).

If I lower the rpm, clutch will engage. Then I can raise up rpm and it would - ever so slowly - come up to speed.

So I quickly cut my front lawn (recently done, so only about 1/2" of growth). I notice blade speed dipping easily and frequently - despite not having to hardly work at all.

Am I diagnosing this properly? Is it normal for a clutch to slowly fail, rather than just quit instantly? How much time do I have before it's completely shot?

Thanks.

Grits
05-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Replace it now. It's done.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Durnit. Not what I wanted to hear.

Anyone else want to cast their vote?

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-05-2010, 10:50 PM
...Bump...