PDA

View Full Version : growing fescue OVER concrete slab

ricsin1
05-06-2010, 01:53 AM
I just had a bobcat come thru & level out a 50' x 7' unused plot of land in my backyard. there must've been a old driveway back there since i found a concrete slab... so about 15ft of the 50ft section is thick concrete.... the rest is dirt....

i want to extend my fescue in the whole 50' x7' section but im concerned about that concrete slab.. I have two choices:
1 ) get a jack hammer and dig up all that concrete then add a premium top soil then seed - OR -
2) pour premium top soil OVER that concrete slab section then seed...

the CHEAPER alternative would be to pour FEW INCHES OF TOP SOIL ON TOP of the concrete ... Would this work? if so HOW MANY INCHES of top soil would i need to put on top of that concrete section in order to get some good root depth.....

kbrashears
05-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I just had a bobcat come thru & level out a 50' x 7' unused plot of land in my backyard. there must've been a old driveway back there since i found a concrete slab... so about 15ft of the 50ft section is thick concrete.... the rest is dirt....

i want to extend my fescue in the whole 50' x7' section but im concerned about that concrete slab.. I have two choices:
1 ) get a jack hammer and dig up all that concrete then add a premium top soil then seed - OR -
2) pour premium top soil OVER that concrete slab section then seed...

the CHEAPER alternative would be to pour FEW INCHES OF TOP SOIL ON TOP of the concrete ... Would this work? if so HOW MANY INCHES of top soil would i need to put on top of that concrete section in order to get some good root depth.....
Put up a basketball goal.

If you put down dirt over that slab, grass will grow. Until it gets hot. Then you'll know exactly where the outlines of that slab are when the sun starts its baking period.

ajslands
05-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Grass won't grow well over concrete, especially seed!
Posted via Mobile Device

JB1
05-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Put up a basketball goal.

If you put down dirt over that slab, grass will grow. Until it gets hot. Then you'll know exactly where the outlines of that slab are when the sun starts its baking period.

listen to this one for your answer.

ajslands
05-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Go ret a skid ster and get the pallet forks and go under it and lift it up and it should start cracking and take it In piecies, next pile it in the street or in your driveway and when you're all done put it in tour truck or trailer and take it to the local dump...
Posted via Mobile Device