PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Chapps?

Doogiegh
07-07-2002, 01:03 AM
Anyone use Chapps to cover their shoes OR the longer ones that go from the knee to the ankle?

I wear long pants all the time, but am getting tons of clippings and stuff in my shoes from trimming and doing a days work.. Was wondering if anyone used the chapps to cover up so as to not make such a mess..
Thanks
Gary

hoagie
07-07-2002, 01:20 AM
Yup, I use the strap chaps that cover upper leg to feet... but only when I'm wearing shorts (for leg protection)... pants usually do the job for clippings in the shoes.

I must look a little funny w/ sunglasses, earplugs, and green leg chaps running around w/ a weedwhacker.

Pelican
07-07-2002, 01:35 AM
I also use the full length chaps for weedwacking in shorts. Used to work without them until a 3/8 stone got kicked up and hit me in the thigh. I thought I had been shot, and it took almost a month for the welt to go away.

agrostis palustris
07-07-2002, 02:23 AM
I don't know if you are willing to spend the money... and these are pretty heavy pants, but check out Arborwear pants. www.arborwear.com REALLY good pants. They also make shorts.

Doogiegh
07-29-2002, 12:47 AM
Got myself a pair of both the ankle to thigh chapps and just the ankle foot covers.

Man, what a great idea.

The foot covers (ankle height) are great, cause I was soiling socks and coming home with 1/2 a pound of trimmings inside my sneakers each and every time out. Not to mention what I was tracking into my truck each stop.

Now I just brush off the top of my feet real nice and easy, hop in and go to the next stop and at the end of the day, my socks are still white, I could do a Clorox commercial. Ha!

Real comfortable too, since they are velcro adjustable.

I'll be trying out the full-length pants ones in a couple of days with shorts to see how that works out.. But so far, so good for sure..

If anyone is thinking of them, I'd say go for them.

So far my best 3 purchases are the Peltour Worktunes am/fm headphones for ear protection, full google (high-school chemistry class style) eye googles (makes trimming sooo much nicer and relaxing), and the w.e. chapps.

Good luck,
Gary

Darryl G
07-29-2002, 01:11 AM
Doogiegh - Sneakers? Are you just trimming, or operating mowers too? I wear 6 inch high steel toe boots (Caterpilars) as I'm solo and do both trimming and mowing. Seems a little strange to me that you wear goggles and chaps for eye & leg protection but only have sneakers on you feet. Not trying to pick on you, but what about your feet?

ranger520
07-29-2002, 01:18 AM
can anyone recommend a brand or specific model of chaps? I have been looking for a pair myself.

lasher66
07-29-2002, 01:38 AM
Man, I dont know what you guys are trimming but you act like your going to war out there. I just where shorts and old shoes and thats it. Maybe once in a while a stone hits my leg, but I just suck it up and keep trimming. At the end of the day I take my shoes off dump the grass out and they are ready for the next day. To darn hot for all the extras. I usually hold my weedwacker in a way were most the debris flies away from me instead of at me. It took me a while to get it down though and it still doesnt keep everything off but it works. ;) I just think chaps make you look like a cowboy when you are out there. ha ha . Just playin.

Lasher

ranger520
07-29-2002, 01:57 AM
I keep getting these first time jobs where it looks like no one has trimmed in two years. This is where a little extra protection would be nicel.

danny van hoozer
07-30-2002, 12:11 AM
Got wy CHAPPS last year. They are the best thing since sliced bread. As I'm a one man operation,I do every thing. Used to get tired of putting sweat pants over my regular shorts in the hot weather to trim and then have to take my shoes off to take sweats off to run ztr or walkbehind. I got the full length model. Also is a good conversation piece to the other lawn care people. Have had several of them ask me where I got them. I guess they need to log on to LawnSite.com like I did. That,s where I found out about the CHAPPS web site.

Scraper
07-30-2002, 09:15 AM
I'll agree with Lasher...too darn hot for Chapps! If you're throwing that many stones into your legs then you aren't trimming properly as grass cut down to the dirt doesn't look too good not to mention doesn't survive too well in this summer heat. Every once in a while you may get hit, but that's all in the line of work. Shorts and shoes here...sure it stings and it may bleed at times, but toughen up boys.

As for grass in the shoes...what's the big deal?

Runner
07-30-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by ranger520
can anyone recommend a brand or specific model of chaps? I have been looking for a pair myself.
Go to the Home page of Lawnsite, (has all the different forums on it) and go down to manufacturer forums. Under that, you will see W.E. Chapps. Great company, and they have "lots" of other good stuff on there, too. Some of the most common items are things such as the mesh litter bags that attach to you mower.;)

TurfGuyTX
08-08-2002, 09:20 PM
I wear Dickies work pants. They're tough and clean easily. I also wear some good steel toe boots. My feet never complain. If you are getting hit too much, something's not right with the way you or trimmer is working. Is the guard attached?