PDA

View Full Version : Ideas needed for Water Run-off

hdtvluvr
05-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Ok, I have called 2 landscape contractors that will not call me back. I've also called 2 concrete contractors who did come out and wanted to create eye sores. I'm looking for suggestions on how to make a better edge to the driveway to prevent what is shown in the pictures. The solution is not to hold these rocks back necessarily but to provide a stable edge to the asphalt drive and will allow the water to flow and hopefully not dig out the dirt at the end of the barrier.

The first one is the water after it went down a lot. The "river" during the worst part was 250 ft across and over 2 ft deep. There is a creek that runs in the direction the water flowed under the brick wall in the photos. This creek isn't wide enough or deep enough to handle all of the water obviously nor can it be changed. This is the 3rd time in 6 years that this has happened.

The second and third photos show the damage from the house side. The difference in grade between the top of the driveway and the ground starts out at about 6 inches and gets to about 24 inches at the brick (second photo).

The fourth photo shows the other side of the brick wall (the street is at my back and the house is in front of me). That grade change is about 6 inches close to me to about 16 inches at the brick. The fifth photo is the street side with my back toward the house.

Any solutions? Thanks

KarlP
05-06-2010, 09:55 AM
To make that look good in New England I would be to bury 24" tall 5" wide granite curbing so that the top is a few inches above the pavement. Then I'd put in a crushed stone, cement paver, or if you've got the $$ granite sidewalk against the curbing at grade level. Just make sure you don't run off the side of the driveway once you do this. :-)

hdtvluvr
05-06-2010, 01:34 PM
That is an interesting concept. The cement pavers would probably be better than crushed stone. There is 180 feet of damage. What would something like you propose (curbing and pavers) cost?

theheisk
05-06-2010, 05:00 PM
What about a French Drain on both sides? I did this to the last house I lived in and it helped my water drainage out a TON! Just a thought as I was reading through your thread. Good Luck on your project!!!:)

WirelessG
05-06-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm not a landscaper. I'm a homeowner and an engineer. I hate to be negative, but I seriously doubt (from what I can see in the pictures) that you can do anything about this without spending a great deal of money. Even if you create a granite wall, the flood waters have to go somewhere, so you would need to follow up with stout swale or channel to evacuate the flow. You're talking about re-routing a river, which takes a lot of machinery, manpower, and materials and a careful study of a diversion plan.

I think your best bet is to remove the the stone and get grass growing again. If you have thick enough vegetation, the flood waters won't be able to scour the dirt. Being loose and subject to the forces of flood water, the rock tumbles, but vegetation won't. Good luck and I hope you and the other from TN dry our soon. Sorry to see how bad you all got hit.

fredmullegun
05-06-2010, 08:48 PM
What is wrong with just getting rid of those rocks and put some top soil up even with the driveway? Once the grass gets rooted I doubt you will lose much and if you do so what once every two years spring for a little more top soil.

hdtvluvr
05-07-2010, 08:21 AM
From the perspective of the 1st 3 photos, my house is on a hill at my back. Therefore, I have water running down the hill alongside the drive - but not a river. BTW, the "river" isn't supposed to be a river just a small creek.

I never thought about using dirt and grass. How deep can I bury the trunks of the trees in the photos without killing them? Could I fill in with dirt to the level of the water in the 1st photo? That's between 1 and 1.5 ft high.

Would zoysia be the best grass in the area under the trees? If not, what should be used?

WirelessG
05-07-2010, 09:46 AM
You don't want to pile up dirt on the trees - it'll eventually kill them. All that I was referring to in my post was the area adjacent to the blacktop. It appears that you have riprap piled up for erosion/scouring control. I was thinking that if you removed the riprap and got grass to grow, then any flood waters would pass without throwing the riprap all over the place. I don't know if you would necessarily have to add dirt except maybe at the bottom of the drive on the right and, if so, it would only have to be enough to taper the grade to something that your mower can handle.