PDA

View Full Version : 2000 lazer hp 23hp kaw charging system problem

shaggerty
05-06-2010, 11:30 AM
I have a 2000 lazer hp with a 23hp kaw motor. After mowing for approximately 30 minutes, the battery is stone dead. This only happens when the blades are engaged. the engine will restart with a jump.I have replaced the battery and regulator with no change. Could my clutch or PTO switch be bad?? Thanks for the help.

dutch1
05-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Check the voltage at the battery without the engine running then compare that to the voltage at the battery with the engine running. If the voltage with the engine running does not exceed to static voltage you have a charging coil problem or a regulator/rectifier problem.

Disconnect the two leads coming from the charging coil and with a volt meter check for proper AC voltage. Normally you should expect in excess of 40 VAC but someone with Kaw specs may give you the minimum which I don't have access to currently.

If you have adequate AC voltage, check the DC voltage output at the regulator/rectifier. The DC output should be in the 12.5-13.5 range.

If you are in the habit or jumping your battery with a battery from a running automotive engine you run a risk of damaging the charging coil of the small engine. By doing so, you back feed the small engine 13-20 amp charging system with 55+/- amps from the automotive system.

1grnlwn
05-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Possible you have a short in clutch circuit.

shaggerty
05-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the help dutch1. My battery voltage is 12.5 and dropped to 12.3 with the engine running. The ac voltage of the charging coil is 32. Upon removal of the flywheelIi discovered the underside magnets and coil were caked with dirt and dust.I cleaned everything, reassembled and still am only getting 32 VAC. I guess i need to replace the charging coil! Thanks again.