PDA

View Full Version : Securing trailers outside

Joel B.
07-07-2002, 12:35 AM
How do you secure your trailers so no one steals them when stored in your driveway/yard overnight?

Thanks,

Joel B.

geogunn
07-07-2002, 12:40 AM
aside from the usual security, I block the trailer with my truck.

but the trailer is usually unloaded at the end of the day anyway.

GEO

wxmn6
07-07-2002, 01:14 AM
I think I read a previous post about a guy that dug deep holes and put chains or something in the hole and fill the holes with concrete. Then after that he secures the trailer to the ground with chains or cables. I don't remember all the detail but try do a search on it. Try "securing trailer".

greenman
07-07-2002, 01:47 AM
i just back mine in the driveway right in front of the garage.that way they cant get the ramp down. put my hitch lock on and block the trailer with my truck. or just leave it hooked up.

dlandscaping
07-07-2002, 10:23 PM
ive seen a nice lock that goes right under where the ball goes and locks the linkage on top but havent been able to find it. I park the trailer either in the driveway or on the side of road with a master lock thru the linkage and i thot i was all set till i figured you can still take it by the chains so now i lock them up as well. My trailer is 6.5*12 and simple with wood ramps on the sides and no one has touched it so far (2yrs) and no one took the nice ramps on it. My neighbor who parks his trailer and trucks not at his house had someone over the winter break into his enclosed with a torch and take stihl trimmers bp blowers, billygoat blower sweepers hedge trimmers and toro 21 commercials a 52hydro 44 hyrdo and a 36 belt. This season i guess he is doing something right since he replaced everything added a 16ft enclosed trailer a toro zt350 new 36hydro 21s and two f450 with grain dump bodys.

JSMLAWNCARE
07-07-2002, 10:34 PM
I know a guy that had his whole set-up, except his truck, stole last week. It was locked to his truck and the it was in a chain linked fence. They cut a hole in the fence and took his trimmers and blower out of the back of the truck. Then cut his lock off the trailer and stole his trailer, zt, and walkbehind. The cop told him that there has been a few stolen in the area.
Later this week I plan on buying another lock for my trailer.

We do 4 U
07-07-2002, 10:47 PM
I was thinking about this very thing a few days ago and I thought I had my trailer locked up good. Then I got to thinking, I have a reciver lock on the hitch reciver and a lock on the tounge lacth on the trailer. All someone would have to do is come by and take the bottom nut off the ball and they would be in business with my busniess. I am going to have my ball welded to my reciver.

Doogiegh
07-07-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by JSMLAWNCARE
Later this week I plan on buying another lock for my trailer.

Why "Later this week?" and why not Monday morning? <G>

Whemever I've had something like that, where I figure I'll get to it later in the week, etc, it's always come back to bite me in the butt.

Pep Boys sells the ball-mount type that goes where the ball does and locks onto the top of the trailer. I honestly don't know HOW you'd get it off of the trailer if you ever lost the key, other then maybe with a blow torch or a sledge hammer.. Or cutting off the entire front nose of the A-Frame of the trailer and welding/mounting a new one. <G>

I liked the idea of filling holes with chain and concrete, but I figure someone can just cut the chain just as easy.

Gary

Doogiegh
07-07-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by We do 4 U
All someone would have to do is come by and take the bottom nut off the ball and they would be in business with my busniess. I am going to have my ball welded to my reciver.

Man, I never thought of that.. Go somewhere with a truck and a hitch already all set up, take the nut off the ball, transfer the ball to your hitch, re-screw on the nut and drive away.. Sheesh...

So how do we protect against that one?

I do know that the nut takes a 1.5 " wrench, which I have NOT been able to find for sale ANYWHERE, be it Sears, Pep Boys, etc.. I use a plumbers wrench and a special set of mechanic pliers to tighten the nut.... How about you guys..

JJOHN22042
07-07-2002, 11:05 PM
I just Park the Trailer in the Back Yard at Night and Let the German Shepherd do all the work he's cheap Security.:D

yardboyltd
07-08-2002, 02:04 AM
Finding tools to take off a nut that size is no prob... You can easily find sockets that size and socket wrenchs to match it... Goto sears and look for yourself, somebody has to take them bolts off of tractors...

I don't know about you guys, but I have a standard latch receiver that goes onto the ball.. Anyways when you look at hte underneath of the mechanism, the action mechanism is held together by a nut... All one would have to do is to take the nut off, put it on another ball, put the mechanism back in placeand the nut. This is of course while it's "locked".

Got Grass?
07-08-2002, 04:40 AM
Kinda funny as I'm having a hard time sleeping tonight as I had to leave all my equip outside tonight. Not all that worried but still hard to sleep knowing.
Garage is on the 1st floor with room below it. Patched up the cracks & painted the floor (2 gallons of hydo cement, 1.5 gal of paint). Truck blocking tailer, trailer latch lock, tarp, locks, turn off eveything lighting the equip. but left light in house on, motion sensors etc...

Normally I store it in the garage with the lock on, motion sensors, etc... Not worried about it as garage door will wake up anyone...

When at a job & see another landscaper down the road I get paranoid. I hate going into the back yard knowing my life is sitting in the front open for anyone to steal.

We sould all propose to some Car alarm company to come up with an alarm for our equip. A simple broken circuit alam would work. Multiple cheep remotes for employes to carry, like an intellacode that Geni garage door openers use...

Tony Harrell
07-08-2002, 05:18 AM
This post stuck in my mind and I guess my brain worked on it. I had a picture pop into my mind all of a sudden while relaxing under the shade trees yesterday. It's not completely thought out but here it is. I pictured a post in the ground with a hitch on top, mounted in concrete or something. Another one, I pictured a swing away post from the side of a building. I guess you'd have to be able to man handle your trailer for these.

greenman
07-08-2002, 09:59 AM
I they want it bad enough they will take it. Just make sure everything is plenty insured.

Matt'slawncare
07-08-2002, 04:33 PM
I agree with greenman. If the people want it bad enough they will sooner or later find away to get it. They dont really have to take the later either to get what they want they can just grab it and go. Thats why i keep everything in the garage.

lawnkid
07-08-2002, 07:15 PM
I know a loy of guys around here use flood lights with sensors that turn the light on for protection. A guy that just expanded his business told me that he installed some flood lights with sensors for security and one time someone trid to steal his stuuf locked in his garage and the lights turned on, the dog barked, his bedroom was right next to the garage so he clearly saw the guy and the cops caught him within a day.

Turfdude
07-08-2002, 10:15 PM
Leave the truck hooked up to the trailer or purchase a coupler lock.

Bottom line however is if a thief wants something bad enough, he'll get it!!!!!!!

Bob

TFL
07-08-2002, 10:42 PM
Be sure to lock your Hitch into your reciever had my stolen while parked at Wal-mart. I lock mine in my shop and i have a gaurd dog.

Pelican
07-08-2002, 10:51 PM
I'm in an area that's still a bit rural, and with enough rednecks like me around that thieves have more sense than to try and take something that doesn't belong to them. The cops can be as much as a half hour away and we have to be prepared to fend for ourselves til then, and many are. The scumbags know this too, and generally stay clear. Sorry the rest of you have a different situation.

yardboyltd
07-09-2002, 02:25 AM
I seen a guy back his truck up to the front of walmart, put down the tailgate, pull out some ramps and drive a murray up it... They had left it unsecured and I know for a fact he didn't buy it.

LawnMagic
07-09-2002, 03:51 PM
Gorilla gaurd i may have spelled it wrong fits in place of ball

LawnMagic
07-09-2002, 04:03 PM
If you want look into lojack thats what i have i hide it on the machine small transmitter and as soon as i report the item stolen a becon on it's turned on and a cop cars have a tracker that is like gps or some thing i think i cost a hundred bucks or so but i feel peace of mind no matter where i park the stuff

www.lojack.com i think

mower
trailer
truck
blower
everything safe at last

Pelican
07-09-2002, 07:04 PM
Just curious, Yardboy, did you report your observations to anyone?