PDA

View Full Version : Seed is up

RigglePLC
05-06-2010, 12:20 PM
I planted some new seed in my Grand Rapids yard April 15. It was Scotts "High Traffic", a blend high in perennial ryegrass. I used Scotts 2009 version of the seed. And also seeded part of the area with Scotts 2010 version which was coated with water absorbing gel. Soil prep was heavy raking before seeding and light raking after seeding. I also planted a sample of each seed type in a coffee mug inside, where it was warm. Both of the inside seed types came up in 72 hours. Outside, the average weather was cool, 55 daily highs, and 40 nights. Weather dry--I used the irrigation. Outside it took about 2 weeks to come up. Now at May 6, 3 weeks, the new grass is about 3 inches high. Air temp 65 today. Soil temp about 55 to 60. According to nationwide Greencast map.
http://www.greencastonline.com/SoilTempMaps.aspx

CHARLES CUE
05-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Well do you think there is any difference in the jell coated seed and the reg see? I planted 9th sq ft 11 days ago the seed came up on the 9th day looks very good used a wetting agent seemed to work really good. the home owner called me on the 8th day and said i sold him bad seed. now if he can only keep it alive threw the summer. good luck
Charles Cue

RigglePLC
05-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Still checking Charles--no visible difference so far.