PDA

View Full Version : please be careful!

rockcreeklawnser.
07-07-2002, 10:45 AM
Hi all,
Friday I was doing some clean-up work at home, using the Chipper/Shredder. When I was done I was cleaning the machine up, and cut off part of my little finger.

Just a little reminder, that everyday is not a perfect day. Take your time, and be careful even when you are working for yourself.

sbvfd592
07-07-2002, 12:43 PM
what kind of chipper shredder

awm
07-07-2002, 01:32 PM
son worked for davey. one day this youngun came to work . u guessed it
no body saw it but he turned up missing.
guess u can figure where he was found.
if u want to call that finding somebody.
got an idea u might be a very lucky man ,even if it was a small chipper.:)

Mowingman
07-07-2002, 03:19 PM
I can not confirm this, but I heard that the reason that Troybilt went bankrupt was mainly due to liability claims associated with their line of chipper/shredders. All of them are very hazardous, no matter what size. I will always remember that scene from the movie "Fargo".;)

rkbrown
07-07-2002, 03:34 PM
rockcreek:

Thanks for the timely reminder. I try to remember and teach my kids that you must pay attention 60 minutes out of the hour. If you do for 59 minutes and not the other 1 minute, you could be in serious trouble. My daughter had an accident on the diving board yesterday, due, of course, to not paying attention. All she did was scrape her leg, thankfully.

agrostis palustris
07-09-2002, 10:11 PM
You gotta be careful with chipper blades. Even just touching them gently will get you cut good. As far as that being a danger... don't worry about it. 1 brush chipper accident will not put a company under. I remember a few years ago some idiot got his head taken off by a chipper when it got jammed up by a log too big. Some kid got his foot taken off a few years ago when he decided to kick some brush into the chipper with his feet... foot got caught and dragged in by the feed wheels. Another guy about 2 or 3 years ago lost some extremity or another when a cable got wrapped around it. I have known other people who have had the bottoms of their feet shaved off when the chipper sucked them in. Dangerous machines. Just gotta keep your mind on what you are doing. Also, the bigger the machine... the more dangerous as it will eat larger pieces.

brucec32
07-12-2002, 02:22 AM
I've only used them 3 or 4 times myself, but I think they clean up a little more safely when you turn them off first. : )

sdwally
07-12-2002, 10:56 AM
Chippers can be extremely dangerous if they are not equipped with feed rollers that control the feed rate. I seen many people be yanked when feeding in limbs to chippers. All it can take is a glove getting caught on a limb to be pulled in.
Last year in San Diego one of the tree trimming companies had employee commit suicide via a large chipper. Made headlines in this area.

yardboyltd
07-12-2002, 11:01 AM
Committing suicide with a chipper is sick. Makes you glad your not the cop that has to work the scene... but could you only imagine what that'd do to an entire guy? What's the matter with convential means...