PDA

View Full Version : Couldnt install sod, was rained out, sod is browning?

MowinginEureka
05-06-2010, 10:25 PM
So yeah, a week ago, the sod rolled in on the truck. The previous week when I ordered it, it was dry, weather had been dry. Well it poured that weekend, just poured. I have been checking it periodically. Its dry enough now, still wet in a few spots, but I think its dry enough to till and install the sod. Problem is, Im a little worried. I had to roll out the sod, I watered it a few times but now its starting to brown a little. I am going to go install tomorrow. Anything I should worry about?

JB1
05-06-2010, 10:30 PM
I would worry about losing your butt on that one, it doesn't sound good.

Ric3077
05-06-2010, 10:33 PM
We try to install sod the day it is cut or next day worst case...next time check the forecast before ordering the sod. Water twice a day and it will prob bounce back.

MowinginEureka
05-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Errr. Can you be a little more specific?

MowinginEureka
05-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I did check the forecast. It was supposed to be dry. Its the coast...weather people were way off...I will have him water twice a day. Is there anything I should do to help make sure it takes root?

JB1
05-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I did check the forecast. It was supposed to be dry. Its the coast...weather people were way off...I will have him water twice a day. Is there anything I should do to help make sure it takes root?

Just make sure its well watered.

MowinginEureka
05-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the advice, makes me a lot less worried. Im NOT looking forward to rolling it all back up and loading, then unloading and installing....ugh...Should have bid higher...Live and learn, live and learn....

lukemelo216
05-07-2010, 12:20 AM
once I see that I am going to be unable to work due to conditions, I cancel or delay all orders right away. Then you dont have this problem. That is what you should have done

shooterm
05-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Its burned up so get new sod. I've seen companies lose multiple semi's of sod just because a work truck broke down :rolleyes:.

bigslick7878
05-07-2010, 01:45 PM
once I see that I am going to be unable to work due to conditions, I cancel or delay all orders right away. Then you dont have this problem. That is what you should have done

I don't see any reason why you need to order sod a week ahead of time either, I can order mine at 2pm one day and have it delivered the next morning.

But anyway it is brown from lack of sunlight, water it and it will recover.

lukemelo216
05-07-2010, 03:45 PM
i dont either...........usually I will pick up anyways unless its a huge order.....but i usually call a day or two in advance especially in big orders. But ya if I called my supplier at 2pm tuesday I would have it by 8 wednesday

Think Green
05-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Eureka,
What kind grass sod did you order??
If I read you post right.............the sod was cut other than a few days before the truck delivered it.........it was dry then........then it rained on the rolls or pallets.......waited until dry to roll it out later?????
Watered the rolls again.???...........................The internal heat more than likely cooked the green foliage and the roots.
If this ever happens to us, we will water the smoke out of it and add starter fert and baby this stuff..........put an employee out there to check the water.........!!!!!!!

MowinginEureka
05-07-2010, 11:25 PM
So In installed the sod today and it seems to be regaining its color already. Looks pretty good. To clarify, it was below 400 sq ft job, very small. I simply rolled out the sod the day I picked it up in my back yard and watered it while it was here. I let it dry for two days before install, rolled it back up this morning, put it in the bed and installed it today. Mixed in a bunch of soil compost and then fertilized it with organic fertilizer afterwards. It was tall fescue. Grass is being watered with a timer. We live 300 miles away from any major city. I'm pretty sure why I have to advance order is because it comes from out of city. It is the only place within a few hundred miles to get sod and its cash up front only, no returns, cancellations or anything. Lesson learned though!

Whitey4
05-10-2010, 04:39 PM
I would NEVER delay a sod install due to weather. When the sod shows up, it gets installed. Period. I don't mow when it rains heavy, but I install sod the day it is delivered, no ifs buts or ands. There is NO good reason to delay a sod install due to rain... not ever. Asking for trouble.

txgrassguy
05-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Fescue has a relatively decent dormancy imitation so on a smaller install you should come out alright.
I'd suggest using this as a learning experience as far as production scheduling, weather forecasting, etc.
What you will eventually learn is to take a few days and actually drive out to the sod farms your suppliers deliver. There are a bunch of things to look at when viewing a sod operation but the overall condition and cleanliness of the harvester is where you need to look first.
Check the soil type the sod is grown on, their records concerning turf type and origin, weed content in the sod fields, their mowing equipment and irrigation source. Also don't forget to view their application records as I have had sod delivered that has had a state restricted insecticide applied to it shortly before the sod was harvested.
Made mine and my crews hands tremble/tingle and until I checked I didn't know why.
Last time I used that supplier!

MowinginEureka
05-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks. All good points! Will remember for the future.