PDA

View Full Version : Contracts....

HappyGrasslawncare
05-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Monthly mowing contracts how does everybody feel about them? is it a must? this is my second season and i didnt feel the need for contracts the first season but am having some second thoughts for the second...how does everybody feel?

MileHigh
05-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Contracts...I call them service agreements until they are signed...are essential.

Same here, I though I didn't need them at first, boy was I wrong. They also make you look good and can save your arse especially if your doing commercial.

Monthly??? Contracts are usually seasonal or for 1 year.

Chilehead
05-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Contracts are a must. Our terms are for the whole season.

Somthinrandm
05-11-2010, 02:07 AM
what is in a contract i mean i cut your lawn 1ce a week and u pay me once a week how is contracts better? maybe im missing something lol. peoples fliers say hire me hire me no contracts. (makes it sound like contracts are bad) so when i started i never even considered bringing a contract to my client. he just knows ill be there every friday from march till sept. and he sends me a check every month.

By Us Company
05-11-2010, 10:26 PM
what is in a contract i mean i cut your lawn 1ce a week and u pay me once a week how is contracts better? maybe im missing something lol. peoples fliers say hire me hire me no contracts. (makes it sound like contracts are bad) so when i started i never even considered bringing a contract to my client. he just knows ill be there every friday from march till sept. and he sends me a check every month.

What do you do when a few of your customers decide not to pay for the month? I think a Service Agreement is essential stating that the Homeowner agrees to the cost you have given to mow weekly and they will pay a monthly invoice.

I guess its not a huge problem if you have few accounts and personal relationships. We have over 130 residential and commercial mowing accounts so it gets a little more complicated. You don't always know everyone personally.

Somthinrandm
05-11-2010, 10:34 PM
The client pays me in advanced and expects me to be there.
Posted via Mobile Device

By Us Company
05-11-2010, 10:41 PM
I don't think a month advanced payment is very common for any sized lawn care company unless its a full season contract with monthly payments. I understand invoicing your Client monthly for the services you performed the previous month. The service agreement or contract usually solves any problems with discrepancies in price and payment.

Somthinrandm
05-11-2010, 10:45 PM
The client pays me in advanced and expects me to be there.
Posted via Mobile Device

By Us Company
05-11-2010, 10:52 PM
OK, I read that the first time.

Somthinrandm
05-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Haha I know sry my blackberry sent it twice after it lost connection. I guess I've been pretty lucky to not have any problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

devmaster
05-13-2010, 03:24 AM
Contracts are a must. Our terms are for the whole season.

Thats some strong stuff, i need to here that once and a while

Chilehead
05-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Thats some strong stuff, i need to here that once and a while

Some people call my need for contracts, "risk management". I call it DAMAGE CONTROL.:)

PropServ
05-13-2010, 04:54 PM
I have actually been thinking about getting more of my long time clients into a structure kinda like estate management. I really don't want to use those particular words because it doesn't fit the whole demographic. What I think seasonal contract work does for both parties is offers stability. My customer doesn't have to cringe at the $800 cleanup w/ mulch basically the same week every spring, and I don't have as much trouble organizing my schedule for the guys when I know what is on deck at any given point. Spring time we do all of the cleanups, fert, mulch, trimming, etc.. Summer we mow, fert, some trimming.. Fall we mow, fert, cleanup.. Winter we push snow.. And my checkbook stabilizes too which keeps your preferred provider coming back to work each week. Just thoughts.

tmetz
05-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Wow, I am reconsidering my "no contract lawn service." Maybe next season I will start handing out contracts saying that they will pay at the end of every month for a year. Because I have only 7 accounts and had an 8th but what do you know they didn't want to pay for my service lost 2 weeks of mowing money. Contracts will save me from losing money? If they don't pay could you take them to small claims?

:cool2:

PropServ
05-14-2010, 11:31 AM
I don't think its ALWAYS a perfect situation but now that I have had some of these accounts for 4 years, and we do basically the same services for them every year, I think it would be worth considering for both parties. I have a lot of regular, and sorta-regular, mowing customers that probably wouldn't be interested because mowing is all we do for them and they have never taken us up on any other services.Thats fine too. Yes, if you have a signed contract you can take the issues to court. That is costly too though, keep that in mind. Make sure that the customers that you want to try this with are the kind of customers that would appreciate the stability of the contract and not just some guy who hurt his back and can't mow this summer.