PDA

View Full Version : Retaining Ring in Husqvarna Gearbox

GravelyGuy
05-07-2010, 04:13 PM
I have a Husqvarna 123L trimmer that lost a bearing in the gearbox. There is a retaining ring that is down in the casing of the gearbox and my Craftsman retaining ring pliers are too big to get down to it. Is there another tool for getting hard to reach rings out like this?

Here is a diagram to give you an idea. Part #735312510 is the one.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=husqvarna&mn=123+L+%282004-03%29&dn=25050005

Thanks...

VT_Grassman
05-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Sounds like you are trying to get it from the lower (line spool) side (?) You have to remove the gearbox from the trimmer/shaft and remove it from the upper side.

GravelyGuy
05-08-2010, 08:19 AM
I have the gear box off of the shaft and the bearing just crumbled apart in my hand. I have to remove the retaining ring to get the rest of the old bearing out and put the new one in.

I have two pairs of ring pliers, but they both are to big to get down into the housing and get the ring off. I didn't know if there was another tool for this?

GlynnC
05-08-2010, 07:23 PM
I have the gear box off of the shaft and the bearing just crumbled apart in my hand. I have to remove the retaining ring to get the rest of the old bearing out and put the new one in.

I have two pairs of ring pliers, but they both are to big to get down into the housing and get the ring off. I didn't know if there was another tool for this?

I took the longest ring pliers I could find, then took a bench grinder to the sides, ground down as much as I could so they would be skinny down towards the hinge pin--thus allowing them to get in deeper. This worked great. I had looked a long time before I finally came up with this.

GravelyGuy
05-08-2010, 08:37 PM
I took the longest ring pliers I could find, then took a bench grinder to the sides, ground down as much as I could so they would be skinny down towards the hinge pin--thus allowing them to get in deeper. This worked great. I had looked a long time before I finally came up with this.

So you have had the same problem?

The good pair of ring pliers that I have are the ones that have the hex shaped removable tips. I thought I may be able to find a set of tips that would be long enough, but Sears has nothing better than what I have. The second pair I may be able to grind on if I have to.

I wonder how the dealers would do it???

GravelyGuy
05-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I was able to pry the ring out with a small punch. Now I can't get the outside piece of the bearing out. I am heating it right now with a blow dryer to try and get it out. It doesn't look good though.

Any ideas?