PDA

View Full Version : What's the biggest mowing contract you ever heard of?

David Haggerty
07-07-2002, 06:46 PM
I tried a Toro 580-D at Armco (Steel) Park, just north of Cincinnati in the early '90s'. The salesman said they had 2,100 Acres of park they let out on contract! I think he was really trying to sell them the mower, and that's what we were doing there. Showing the mower off. We nearly got lost there. It was Like one kind of park, like baseball, connected to another park, like picnicing, connected to another. It went on and on.
Can you imaging a contract like that? I don't think I can count that high!;)

Of course that was back in the day when Ohio had industry. Armco is gone, and I think the park went to the city.

Have any of you heard of these mega-contracts? Or maybe worked for them?

Locally my "big time" contract is 26 acres, but the pay is definitely small town.
I have a bid in for the city schools. It's 80 acres spread over 5 sites in two towns. But they won't return my phone calls.:confused:

But what's the big game where you are. And would YOU bid it?

Dave

mowerconsultant
07-07-2002, 06:57 PM
I had the opportunity to tour the NCR facilities in Dayton Ohio a month ago....
All I can say is WOW !!!!
The company that maintains this place is on site, they have there own faciltiies right there.
They just took this over and bought all new equipment.
I would have to guess they are taking care of at least 1500 acres.
They have parks, a golf course, common areas thousands of islands in parking lots.
This place is unreal, you have to tour it on a golf cart to see it all.

The reason I was there is to thank them for all the Hustler equipment they bought.
They took delivery of 6, 60" Super Z's, 1 Hydro Range Wing (12ft cut), and 2 48" walk behinds and 1 54" walk behind
They told me they need more mowers, but the budget is gone for the year...

Later
Pj

Brickman
07-07-2002, 11:14 PM
I was asked if I wanted the local Air Force Base when the current contract expired. The clowns there now are screw ups from what I hear. But then how would you keep a handle on a $2 MILLION a year contract?

That much money would suck. :D :D :D

southside
07-08-2002, 07:00 AM
Biggest one I came across was for Brisbane City Council.Mowing
roadsides. 2 million square metres or 494.2 acres. Had to be cut
every 2 weeks. Crew that got the job had 6 tractors with 6' triple
head 3pl mowers and 3 trucks. Price was about 2.5 cents per
square metre per cut.

That was about 4 years ago.Since then the price has dropped to
0.9 cents per square metre :(

bayfish
11-08-2003, 02:27 AM
I'm working on Goodard Spaceflight Center in Wallops Island Va. Well over 1 mil per season. Dover AFB in Delaware subs out a portion of the base, everything except the wide open areas around the runways for over 1 mil. per season also. Both are about 1 hour from me.

David Haggerty
11-08-2003, 04:21 AM
bayfish;
Thanks for the reply. You say you're working on Goodard? At what capacity? I never really had conversation with anyone working the big jobs. I don't know what to ask. What can you tell us?
And thanks for resurecting this thread. It gives me opportunity to say thank you to those who posted. Though I believe some have left the forum.
Dave

polecat63
11-08-2003, 07:39 AM
I haven't come accross any that big, but here is a sweet one that I know of. It's a Dominion Power contract (same folks that run the power in MD, DC, and NC) . Cut and trim all remote power station and control huts. You know, those little building you see in some neighborhoods. 125 properties with most being about 30' x 30' and about 18 that have close to half an acre. I know the guy that's had the contract for the last five years and he said he gets over $250,000 a year. The guy that works for me used to work for him said that it takes a 2 man crew less than a week to do all properties during the season and a one man crew will do it in less than a week off season. Man, that's a profit margin I would love to see!

Bunton Guy
11-08-2003, 08:37 AM
We have one of our locally large companies (over 90 employees) has another location down at the beach in SC and does the airforce base down there. I know that has to be a large contract.

NC Big Daddy
11-08-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Bunton Guy
We have one of our locally large companies (over 90 employees) has another location down at the beach in SC and does the airforce base down there. I know that has to be a large contract.

Easy Bunton Guy.........It's no longer an Air Force base. They haven't had that account for quite sometime and they have a lot more than 90 employee's.

As for large accounts how about 3.7 million? That's the yearly billing to one just north of Charlotte. 18 men plus equipment on site. Don't even think about bidding that puppy it's tied up tighter than dicks hat-band. I among others have tried :D

Fantasy Lawns
11-08-2003, 05:58 PM
I just reviewed the contract from United Space Alliance for the Cape ..... almost 50 pages of contract reading! .... with all the badgin, testing, OSHA & Gov Reg's my eyes were spinning ....it's a bute of a job ...$$$ ... as only a hand full of LCO's can really bid on it .... just way to big for me

The other big one down here is Patrick Air Force Base .... the long time LCO on that one owns a trailer park to house his employees n shop space ... now that's smart thinkin ;->

dvmcmrhp52
11-08-2003, 08:29 PM
The cape would be a real beaut wouldn't it? i love that place.I have a good friend that works in Houston as well....He keeps me up on the latest.

bayfish
11-08-2003, 08:30 PM
Dave, What I'm doing with Goddard is the arduious process of finding an "in" on the bidding process. Thanks to some previous threads on Lawnsite, I found some website addresses to get started. Through those I found some e-mail and phone numbers of the procurement officers on that facility. I e-mailed the procurement officer and got a response the next day saying that they (Goodard) had contracted out to a company called the Cube Corporation. They apparently contracted many things out to this company including the grounds maintenance. Cube, in turn, has subcontracted the grounds maintenance to another firm. Even though I'm not big enough for this job, I'm interested in evaluating the scope of the work and determine what is necessary to get it done along with calculating the profit margin for future reference. There is a trend now for the Federal government to outsource this type of work. Pres. Bush has already given 825,000 government jobs to the private sector and a lot of those are grounds maintenance. Sometimes its not feasable for a company or the government to buy a fleet of Toro 580D's and pay fulltime guys to jockey them, considering wages, benefits, equipment, slow performance etc... Thse are the type of jobs Democrats buy votes with. LOL

Potchkins
11-09-2003, 10:40 PM
2.2mill per year
two year contract
and thay where
losing money
cutting for locheed martin
way over my head

Floridalandcare
11-09-2003, 10:45 PM
Bush Gardens here in Tampa , A company called One Source has been doing it for 30 yrs I think , They were in Turf mag (southern ) . They maintain A ton of stuff here and are HUGE , I can only imagine what they are paid , they probably maintain the one in Virgina too .

lawnman_scott
11-09-2003, 11:32 PM
I was just there, they need to trim the palms.

kutnkru
11-09-2003, 11:40 PM
Hey Steve ,,, I was just curious

In the FlaToday press they covered some of the biz and municipalities that had recieved awards by KeepBrevardBeautiful ,,, I was wondering if any of the MI locales named were maintained by you???

If so Congrats!!!

Fantasy Lawns
11-10-2003, 12:10 AM
We recieved one for a Doctor's office off Fla Ave in Rockledge but that was 5 years ago n we got one for a Pulte Subdivison off Spy Glass 3 years ago .... but none of this years is ours

bayfish
11-12-2003, 11:08 PM
Federal and state govt. could save the taxpayers lots of money by bidding out their grounds maintenance to the private sector. The wage and benefit packages govt. employees get are substantial, then add the equipment price and upkeep. Around here the bid out portions of the grounds maintenance but it's the junk that their employees don't want such as; maintaining medians, landscaped islands at busy intersections, or some obscure park in the far reaches of the county.

HicksGroundMgt
11-13-2003, 08:21 PM
hey florida our busch gardens is all done in house. they do all work at night so not to disrupt the visitors during the day. ours is also a lot smaller than the on there (i saw the article in turf too). almost went to work for them when i came back form college.

also if you can get in touch with the maintainence director there you may be able to find some very lightly used equipment from them. the son of the maint. dir works for me and they cycle all equipment every two years, they auction it off pre-season and post-season. toro walk behinds sell for 400 bucks with minimal hours, matter of fact they getting rid of a walker this year can't wait to pick up a 10k mower for $1500.

slightly off topic but just an idea

Davo
11-13-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by NC Big Daddy

As for large accounts how about 3.7 million? That's the yearly billing to one just north of Charlotte. 18 men plus equipment on site. Don't even think about bidding that puppy it's tied up tighter than dicks hat-band. I among others have tried :D

Would that one be in Huntersville, Big Dadddy?

RidgeCon
11-14-2003, 03:26 PM
We look after a military base and we have 1850 acres of grass to look after on a weekly basis. Tens of buildings (probably close to 100 and hundreds of trees, hydrants, fences etc, to trim around. We have a crew of 18 to look after it.