PDA

View Full Version : Echo backpack problem

B&Slawncare
07-07-2002, 07:42 PM
I had to do some overhauling of the carb on the blower because of recent rains here in South Texas. I had some water in the tank(even though it was covered, 15-29" of rain in a week will find a way through). I cleaned the carb and now the choke lever is loose as a goose and will not stay tight. When the blower runs the choke lever wants to open to lower the idle. I've got the Echo 46HT . What did I do wrong?

Schlep:confused:

KenH
07-07-2002, 08:00 PM
I have several echo blowers, not sure if the same as yours. In the center of the choke lever should be a set screw (allen). Just tighten it. This will tighten the choke lever against the carb. body stopping it from falling down.
HTH

TLS
07-07-2002, 11:00 PM
If there isn't a set screw on the choke "axle", just take off the filter housing and set it on your workbench, then get a center punch (a 10p nail will work in a pinch) and hit it in the center and stake it. It should tighten it up enough.

SLS
07-08-2002, 12:31 AM
Is it possible that a detent spring and ball fell out when you rebuilt the carb?

On my trimmers (Homelite straight shafts) there is a small hole inside the wall (of the bore) where the choke shaft goes. This hole holds a detent spring with a ball at the end of it. The choke shaft has indentions on the, and the ball presses against then...thus holding the choke shaft tight at it's 3 positions (full choke, 1/2 choke, and open).

I broke the 'thumb' lever off of one and replaced it with a new brass lever/shaft...and the spring and ball popped out when I pulled the bad choke shaft out. Thankfully they popped out onto the workbench instead of dropping into the throat of the carb.

Anyway, without the detent spring/ball installed the choke control is loose and "floats'' around....won't stay in position due to vibration of engine running.

Just a thought.........